Langster

mickbrown
mickbrown Posts: 100
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm toying with the idea of getting on of these.

To try and get an idea of what riding SS would be like, which gear should I stick my present bike in?

Ta very much

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Experiment with a few to find what you're most comfortable with on your chosen routes. Then get the Langster's gearing adjusted to match. A decent LBS should do this for free or a nominal cost on a new bike.
    <a>road</a>
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I'd experiment with a few too, then I would settle on a Genesis flyer for the road or a Genesis day one / cross for everything else.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Don't be putting other choices in my head

But two new bikes.............

You might have a point
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    The langster comes with 42/16 gearing, so count up the teeth on your sprockets/chainrings and see which comes closest
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    My Langster with 42/16 gearing is pretty much ideal.

IF I rode completely flat then I'd up the gearing a little.
    I can spin along nicely at 20 -22mph
    I can winch myself up the 1 in 6 local hills on the way home.

Look at some gear charts and find what 42 x 16 is equivalent to with your existing road set up. Put your road bike in that gear and ride with it for a few days to see how you get on
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Salsamander
    Salsamander Posts: 53
    My girlfriend has the Langster steel, have you tried that? she loves it, she got our LBS to change the kerin handlebars to road handle bars