Sludge and Slime question .....niiiice

Hadagan
Hadagan Posts: 72
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi there

Does Slime actually work?

If you pull out a nail or thorn will this stuff actually stop and repair the puncture itself ready to ride?

Also Wilkinsons sell Dr. Sludge for £4 - is this as good as the £9 Slime in Halfords?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Never used Dr.Sludge before, though Slime will seal any puncture up to 3mm in diameter.
    A liitle air will come out while it seals the puncture, but if its anything noticable, just top it up again :D Plus Slime will last roughly 2 years in your tubes before it starts to degrade (the slime that is)
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • I use the slime liner/strip ones, it goes between the tube and the tyre, have not had a puncture in 5 years!!
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Big Shoes wrote:
    I use the slime liner/strip ones, it goes between the tube and the tyre, have not had a puncture in 5 years!!

Do Halfords sell the strip ones?

I have to go out tomorrow lunchtime whilst at work and I could easily take a trip via Halfords.

5 years without a puncture is great! I get about 5 a year, lol!
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I wouldn't recommend the stuff from Wilko as it definitely doesnt work in the same way.

Stick to the better known brands!
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Ho hum wrote:
    Do Halfords sell the strip ones?!

Yup! I'll also vouch for the strip Slimes theyre pretty good can't fault them and they're reasonably cheap too, just gotta check after rides that nothings lodged in the tyre as I once found a big thorn in the tyre saved by the strip thankfully :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    contrary to the above advice i'd offer the opinion that they're totally rubbish beyond belief. The goo is too thin so it doesn't seal properly and instead just makes everything sticky.

Either go for a ghetto tubeless setup or run sturdier tyres like the panaracer PR ranges. On my tubeless setup I pulled a drawing pin out and the hole sealed, slime wouldn't do that!
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    i have used slime in my tubes, has worked twice, one drawing pin, which was not deflated until pulling the pin out,let the air leak out and it gradually sealed its self,pumped it back up, been fine since.the other was a thorne, same again no problem.
    bit of a pain if you want to alter your tyre preasures.
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Big Shoes wrote:
    I use the slime liner/strip ones, it goes between the tube and the tyre, have not had a puncture in 5 years!!

I installed those and had a flat on my first time out. Threw them away and am flat free for a month. :P
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    Seems that there are really different opinions on this topic!

What bikes are we all riding?? Obviously off-road bikes may be put through a lot of rough terrain whereas road bikes have it easy!
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Off road woodland tracks that has plenty of places that are hazardous - bits of bushes, thorns etc.

But I guess its all down to personal preference and your own experience with them, the strips are only about a fiver each so you'd probably best try them out, I personally can't see any downside, but again everyone prefers different things, its your bike do what you feels right :wink:
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    contrary to the above advice i'd offer the opinion that they're totally rubbish beyond belief. The goo is too thin so it doesn't seal properly and instead just makes everything sticky.

Either go for a ghetto tubeless setup or run sturdier tyres like the panaracer PR ranges. On my tubeless setup I pulled a drawing pin out and the hole sealed, slime wouldn't do that!

The problem with the slime strips now is they are made of hard plastic, I know a few people that have had punctures with them as they have sharp edges when new and they cut into the tube. You have to smooth them off with some emery cloth along the edges, I used to use them years ago and still have them in my toolbox and they are softer than the ones you buy now. They worked for years on my commute bike without a puncture but now have tyres with the anti puncture belt so don’t use them.

As for Slime you have in your tubes the wife uses it as she does long rides on her own and is not the best at replacing a tube out on the trail so it gives a little more protection. It does work as I have pulled thorns out of her tyres and it has sealed straight away, I have changed tyres on her bike and the tubes have had green marks were she has had loads of punctures and it has sealed.

Slime may not work in every situation and in all weathers but it would not be allowed on the market if it did not work, it does offer some protection if you don’t mind the extra weight.

The other thing to consider is tyre technology has advanced so much in the last few years that you can get good puncture protection by investing in a good set of tyres.
  • Calusari
    Calusari Posts: 26
    As posted by rw, it sounds like a Ghetto tubeless setup would suit.