losing fat without losing power.

ive had a thought about the best way to lose my excess fat while getting more power.

1) add up all kcals eaten in the day
2) next day try to match this figure through commuting and top-ups on the turbo. SST riding and hard ftp work.

deficit will be there because i'm using more energy doing other 'stuff' during the day.

would this work? its mindboggling me because the eating and riding dont take place on the same day and I cant work out what would happen. :?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Speak to Barry at www.optimumnutrition4sport.com

4.5kg of fat lost in just over 4 weeks, increase in power!

All in the nutrition, I'm not counting calories either...

I feel freakin' great too!
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Hey NapD, sorry for the thread hijack....

I realise its completely individual, but seeing your other posts where you said you were previously stuck for quite a while, what would you say the biggest change from the nutrition plan? eg is it portion size, where you eating too much or too little before, or is it more to do with the food content/type and nutrition?

I lost a fair bit last year, from 16.5 stone to 12st 2 (I'm 6ft), but recently did a sportstest and was surprised to learn I'm still 19% bodyfat and was recemmended to lose 10lbs to get down to approx 14% (as a start). Calorie counting, which worked to get the bulk off, isn't working for me beyond an initial couple of pounds loss now....no matter how meticulous I am my weight stays the same.

I might give that link a go you posted (do they work remotely?) but was interested first to know the general approach they took with you as it seems to have worked!
  • 36spoke
    36spoke Posts: 50
    hi sagalot

i too have been struggling to lose weight, despite ever increasing hours in the saddle and at higher intensities

so i noticed napD's post regarding Barry his nutritionalist and I have now got my own nutritional plan from Barry

there is calorie counting to an extent that you need calories in to be less than calories out if you want to loss weight, although you dont have to worry about portion size until you have changed your eating habits, ie types of foods, timimg of your meals, number of meals and snacks etc

there is much that is common sense but some things that you probably would not have considered

another aspect is that it does not just concentrate on weight loss, but better eating habits that will allow you to race and train at your best, and will lead to better long term health

if all else has failed you then it is definately worth it, if nothing else, it is like when you get a coach, much of what he will propse you already know, but because it is being set out by an expert, you then know it is right and has a good chance of working, so you follow the plan, and it is the little things that maybe you had not considered, that make all the difference

i am only a few days into the new regime but am loving the new regime and know that it will work based on the principles proposed, hopefully if i am dedicated i will have similar results to napD, then I will be happier :-)
  • Anonymous
    sagalout wrote:
    Hey NapD, sorry for the thread hijack....

I realise its completely individual, but seeing your other posts where you said you were previously stuck for quite a while, what would you say the biggest change from the nutrition plan? eg is it portion size, where you eating too much or too little before, or is it more to do with the food content/type and nutrition?

I lost a fair bit last year, from 16.5 stone to 12st 2 (I'm 6ft), but recently did a sportstest and was surprised to learn I'm still 19% bodyfat and was recemmended to lose 10lbs to get down to approx 14% (as a start). Calorie counting, which worked to get the bulk off, isn't working for me beyond an initial couple of pounds loss now....no matter how meticulous I am my weight stays the same.

I might give that link a go you posted (do they work remotely?) but was interested first to know the general approach they took with you as it seems to have worked!

Hi mate,

I was calorie counting before, but was eating the wrong type of foods, surprisingly many of which were widely thought to be 'healthy'...

Plus the timing of said food.

It really works wonders.

Sleeping better (= better recovery)
    Feel better throughout the day (no energy slumps)
    Mood is generally better
    Recovering better in general
    Losing fat
    Gaining power

What more could a boy ask for!?!
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Thanks for that. Is the service do-able by email or does it have to be in person?

I have a healthy enough diet, and do calorie count, but I dont break it down into Carb / Fat / Protein - this was going to be my next step.
  • Anonymous
    sagalout wrote:
    Thanks for that. Is the service do-able by email or does it have to be in person?

I have a healthy enough diet, and do calorie count, but I dont break it down into Carb / Fat / Protein - this was going to be my next step.

I thought mine was healthy! Seriously!

He breaks it down for you really easily. In fact it is ridiculously simple to follow...

It's all doable by e-mail but it is good to go and see him just for some of his enthusiasm to rub off on you. I'd been doing his plan for 3 weeks before I went to actually see him. But yes, e-mail is no probs at all.

He sends you some very detailed questionaires to fill in, you send them off and he sends you your plan.

Simples.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    NapoleonD wrote:
    sagalout wrote:

I thought mine was healthy! Seriously!

He breaks it down for you really easily. In fact it is ridiculously simple to follow...

It's all doable by e-mail but it is good to go and see him just for some of his enthusiasm to rub off on you. I'd been doing his plan for 3 weeks before I went to actually see him. But yes, e-mail is no probs at all.

He sends you some very detailed questionaires to fill in, you send them off and he sends you your plan.

Simples.

Been doing the same thing here in Brizzle and have my next weigh in on Friday. Will update the your cycling weight thread, but feeling good and hoping to have hit sub 14 stone from 16.5 at Xmas and 16 when I started turning the screw first week of Feb. I still feel there is room for improvement and will be adjusting BMR on Friday as well.
  • Anonymous
    FARK!

Raced last night, bloody hard, did a Club 10 TT tonight, power was up 30watts on my last PB!

It clearly helps recovery too!!

Oh, and I'm the lightest I've been in 13 years!
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    How much does this nutritional plan cost please ?
    exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    85 notes.

(It was when I did it anyhoo! May have gone up)
  • Casbar
    That sound slike a fair price ..hope inflation has not been too great over the past w4 weeks

Thx
    Cas
    exercise.png
  • Casbar
    NapoleonD wrote:
    85 notes.

Sorry which one of their pogrammes did you go for " General Consultation " or " Optimum Nutrition Pogramme " ?

Cheers
    exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    Casbar wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    85 notes.

Sorry which one of their pogrammes did you go for " General Consultation " or " Optimum Nutrition Pogramme " ?

Cheers

Dunno!

Optimum nutrition programme I think.

Just rang him up, had a chat saying that I wanted a nutrition plan and got what I did...

I didn't look at the website TBH!
  • Casbar
    Thx will do the same..Your result sounds impressive
    exercise.png