Bad day commuting

dvdfoz
dvdfoz Posts: 62
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
First up this is a light-hearted, pure schadenfreude, thread, anyone with a "one minute I'm commuting, the next in hospital" story wins

But what is your worst commuting day?

For me today started with a flat front tyre, tube repaced, took the opertunity to replace brake pads. 4 miles into commute, flat front tyre, second new tube of the day.

On way home realise brake pads not well replaced, stop at Argos to buy spanners to tighten.
Tighten brakes and while about it adjust saddle height, over-tighten saddle bolt and break it, replacement bolt purchased.

Have a beer, cycling from pub come to set of lights stop, when pulling away, minicab from side road decides to pull out and drives into me! Low speed collision, just some knee/elbow rar rash.

Move onto another pub, and raid their first aid provisions, sucessfully making the entire pub smell of TCP.

And to round it off, couldn't be asked to cook when home,so ordered pizza :cry:

But on the upside, survived, and superficial battle scars had concerned bar staff applying blue plasters to my knees ;)
Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    My worst commuting day is when I have to use public transport. Nothing that happens out on the roads can compare to the tube for misery.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    because I don't live / work in London, on the rare occasions I have to travel down, I'll get the Train and use the Tube to get across the city

You can't half tell I don't use the tube often... people just bully past everyone else to get on a train, and getting off seems to contradict the laws of physics... how can two people occupy the same space at the same time????

An abiding memory for me will be looking at the crowds of miserable sods just lined up on the platforms of train stations on the approach to London.... every day is just one of misery to get to a job.. yeuch.

One time I had to take a call on the way to work and then spent 30 minutes phoning around various people to get a hardware fault organised... I was sat on a field gate in blazing sunshine having a natter with various friendly folk out walking their dogs.

Any day not cycling is not a good one for me, but travelling to London? The worst.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    because I don't live / work in London, on the rare occasions I have to travel down, I'll get the Train and use the Tube to get across the city

You can't half tell I don't use the tube often... people just bully past everyone else to get on a train, and getting off seems to contradict the laws of physics... how can two people occupy the same space at the same time????

An abiding memory for me will be looking at the crowds of miserable sods just lined up on the platforms of train stations on the approach to London.... every day is just one of misery to get to a job.. yeuch.

One time I had to take a call on the way to work and then spent 30 minutes phoning around various people to get a hardware fault organised... I was sat on a field gate in blazing sunshine having a natter with various friendly folk out walking their dogs.

Any day not cycling is not a good one for me, but travelling to London? The worst.

Totally agree, but for me the commute to London usually starts at 4am with a trip to the Airport :shock: :shock:

The people on tube/trains there would trample over you if you fell over, total herd mentality.

So, your the guy that organises the Hardware Faults!! :evil:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Speaking from experience of a good few years commuting by tube (until I came to my senses), the weird thing with the tube is that after a while you become anaesthetised to the awfulness of it and develop a quite amazing ability to withdraw into your own little world. It's as though all the other passengers don't exist, even though your face is likely to be pressed into someone else's armpit. I think that is why so many people stick with it - after a while, you just don't notice how grim it is, so it's a lot easier for the regulars than for us 'only if there is no other option' types.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bluefoam
    bluefoam Posts: 102
    One day while cycling home from work I was eaten by a bear. But I'm okay now...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    rjsterry wrote:
    Speaking from experience of a good few years commuting by tube (until I came to my senses), the weird thing with the tube is that after a while you become anaesthetised to the awfulness of it and develop a quite amazing ability to withdraw into your own little world. It's as though all the other passengers don't exist, even though your face is likely to be pressed into someone else's armpit. I think that is why so many people stick with it - after a while, you just don't notice how grim it is, so it's a lot easier for the regulars than for us 'only if there is no other option' types.

My palms are sweating reading that. The Horror. The Horror.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    rjsterry wrote:

ah being a country boy for most of my life, I amuse myself by talking to them..... it's cruel but very funny.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My most amusing view of commuting was wtaching the 'packers' push more people onto a train in Tokyo only for the carriage window opposite to shatter due to the pressure of the packed people upon it, so if you think the tube is bad......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.