Riding fixed on canal paths?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm getting a new bike with a flip flop hub and the idea of fixed appeals greatly however I spend a fair bit of time on canal paths which means avoiding pedestrians/animals/erratic summer cyclists that dart in front of me and having to brake/swerve/take evasive action.

Is riding fixed a non-starter in this scenario or does anyone do it? I've never tried it before so no idea what sudden braking would be like - stopping on a fix appears to be a bit of a careful.controlled process?

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I started leaning fixed by commuting though through London. If you are worried get/keep front and rear brakes (i'm guessing you have both if you are riding ss atm)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    If it's a flip flop (fixed/free) then it'll have brakes anyway... so stopping will be pretty much exactly the same on any other bike! If you're on about removing the brakes then best of luck to you!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    It will have front and back which it would be silly to remove - I'm really just concerned about how easy it is to brake suddenly at a reasonable speed - I don't really have the time for leisure riding so I either learn whilst commuting (which worked fine when I went clipless) or not at all.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    It will have front and back which it would be silly to remove - I'm really just concerned about how easy it is to brake suddenly at a reasonable speed - I don't really have the time for leisure riding so I either learn whilst commuting (which worked fine when I went clipless) or not at all.

you will stop quicker - 3 brakes and not two. go for it and take it easy.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    pastryboy wrote:

you will stop quicker - 3 brakes and not two. go for it and take it easy.

+1....it's a bit like having ABS on the back..... you don't suffer the same lock-up that road bikes do...as your legs are still spinning....

Your natural reaction in braking is to stop pedalling and brake, so you have legs and brakes....(depends how many brakes you have) - I run with two brakes and legs..... I sometimes find the leg reaction works faster than the hands can get to the levers, especially when accelerating in traffic and someone slams on...... the leg brake has saved me a couple of times.