GPS log viewing software

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I was in a bike shop a short while ago and overheard / saw the guy demoing some software on a PC to a customer.

He was basically showing the customer a recent cycle route that he had done. The software showed a satellite image like googlemaps but also had the elevation profile in a separate window. It also displayed speed, time, altitude and heart rate. When he 'played' the route a marker would travel along the route on the map and simultaneously a marker would move along the elevation profile so you could see the climbs up hill and downhills along the way. The speed, time and HR counters also changed as the marker progressed along the route. I am assuming the data came from a GPS device he had which logged his ride but I'm interested in the software that was used to view the data in such a good way.

Does anyone know what this software is? Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a hurry at the time so didn't get to ask what it was.

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sounds like Sporttracks, even it isn't, you should be using it because it's awesome.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My Nokia phone does this with Nokia Sportstracker which is free (as was my n97 mini). Some of the phones have a polar hrm strap, I use it without.

If you have a Garmin GPS like the Edge 705 then you can upload to their web site which does similar.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I get that via my Garmin Edge 500, pricey but fantastic. Sits very rigidly on your bars and watches what's going on, speed, gradient, temperature, heart rate, altitude, bearing, cadence loads of stuff.

This is the map type output:

4595784503_20612bd8f9.jpg
    4595784335_9e16aebfc8.jpg

My favourite bit is being able to record tracks, then race a ghost version of myself \o/ Complete with little marker on the map.
  • hard-rider
    Toasty, that's pretty close to what I saw being demo'ed. His screen layout was a little different and his marker tracked on the actual satellite map.

Perhaps his software was also part of a GPS system like the Garmin.

@Dodgy, I'll look at that Sport Tracks. Thanks for the link.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    hard-rider wrote:
    Toasty, that's pretty close to what I saw being demo'ed. His screen layout was a little different and his marker tracked on the actual satellite map.

Yeah the screen layout is very customisable and you can track the position with a play button in Google Earth. Sounds like the same sort of thing.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Could also be endomondo http://www.endomondo.com
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • hard-rider
    No definitely Endomondo.
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    I doubt it's what you saw but Ascent for Macs does exactly what you describe, and is what I use;

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/webpa ... tures.html
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    This site is pretty awesome.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

So many different outputs available.

Take a look at the link below which shows how I use it.

www.craigrogers.co.uk/gps
    Craig Rogers
  • shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    I use Memory Map.
    It is very good for both drawing your route out before the ride (and then transferring to the GPSr) and reviewing where you actually went when you get home. It has all the elevation, 3D stuff etc on it as well.
  • Pushbiker
    Pushbiker Posts: 13
    I work in an outdoor shop and i have found that memory map is the best mapping software available and it can do all of the things you require plus you can print off small sections of map that are really useful on the trail
    No Signature
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I also use Memory map for route planning purposes. It's great, but for view on the internet via Google Maps or Google Earth, you can't beat GPS Visualizer.
    Craig Rogers
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I use memorymap too but I have just bought an edge 500 and sadly it doesn`t work with it at all. It won`t download to sporttracks either. Also, the temperature feature is worse than useless as it`s so inaccurate.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • thecremeegg
    thecremeegg Posts: 284
    If you have a Blackberry then download bbtracker - it can output to google maps and works really well
  • hard-rider
    I just downloaded the trial of MemoryMap and will see how that goes. The problem here in Portugal is that I haven't been able to find anything like an OS map. I was sent some maps from a 4x4 club which are supposed to be military maps but they are way out of date as some of the roads they show haven't been like that since the late 80s :roll: .

So far I have played with Run-GPS, Endomondo and Sport Tracker but they all have some weird quirk in their usability.
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Where's the path? is another useful (and free!) option.. import your GPX trails and overlay them on OS mapping, Google maps etc..
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    frogstomp wrote:
    Where's the path? is another useful (and free!) option.. import your GPX trails and overlay them on OS mapping, Google maps etc..

In a similar vein - www.bikehike.co.uk for all your OS mapping needs :)
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Could have been EveryTrail - this is an App - that i found 'cos someone on another forum used it .....
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    Not desktop software but the connect.garmin.com site is great if you have a garmin GPS device.