my bikes gone!! :'( :(

thebigburtonlad
thebigburtonlad Posts: 2
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Grrr ..I'm still fuming, just had my bike stolen last night!!! It was a black FELT BIKES QX 70 , had it for a few years... what do i do now??!! Always thought that a heavy dudty lock would be enough to keep it secure...

What do i do next? any help would be great thanks...

matt.

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited May 2010
    Look for it, claim on insurance if you have it, report it stolen, buy another, consider other security options...etc.
  • Police?

Insurance?

Andy
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Where was it stolen from?

And yeah, call the police and get it logged etc.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Call the police (local not 999) and get an incident number, but have a good look at no claims bonus clauses and excess costs before claiming on home insurance.
  • essex-commuter
    have a good look at no claims bonus clauses and excess costs before claiming on home insurance.

Ha great timing! I have just come off the phone from my insurers (aka legalised crime company)....I had a break in back in January (not bike related) and claimed for the first time ever...they have just phoned as my renewal is due, 60% NCB wiped out and another £100 on top of last year. The young guy on the phone said "yes it has gone up but you were paid out a considerable sum"...err yeah but, ...oh I can't be bothered to rant about it...too wound up!

Didn't help that I got paid out in vouchers and that wasn't where I wanted to shop...anyone want a Comet voucher for £500, for £450?

I need a coffee to calm down.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    When mine was stolen I called my insurance company to find out the details of cover, only to find that bike cover was an option (I hadn't owned I bike when I took out my house and contents). Stupidly I told them why I was asking and they logged it as a claim with no payout. That now increases my quotes when I try to go elsewhere.

W*****s.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    get onto gumtree, ebay etc. You might get lucky, I suspect anyone stealing a bike wants to be shot of it quick. Play it cool go round and collect then just do not pay. remember if they try to assault you its self defence!
  • essex-commuter
    Asprilla wrote:
    logged it as a claim with no payout.

W*****s.

Unbelievable, but then I'm not in the frame of mind at the moment to see it from their point of view! If I was in a good mood I don't think my opinion would change though.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Commiserations, both on the loss of your bike and also for having to deal with the insurance companies.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Asprilla wrote:
    logged it as a claim with no payout.

W*****s.

Unbelievable, but then I'm not in the frame of mind at the moment to see it from their point of view! If I was in a good mood I don't think my opinion would change though.

It is, isn't it? You've got to be so careful dealing with insurance companies. Some are trickier than others.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    look on gumtree and ebay, most nicked bikes are sold with very poor descriptions of the product and thieves can be caught out with searching questions. remember that they might post the photo of the generic bike rather than your specific model (coz like that wd mean goin out 2 nik a camra lyk).

if you live in London try Brick Lane Market early on Sunday morning, it's an emporium of stolen bikes.

less likely but also try www.onceridden.com
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    onceridden.com also lets you post an entry under 'stolen bikes', perhaps some honest soul might see your bike and let you know, or if they've already bought it let you have it back for the price they paid the thief
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also record your frame numbers and anything non standard on your bike so that if you do find it you can prove its yours!

Not to hard with my commuter, its ALL non standard!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    nothing on ebay for a felt-QX70
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    What do i do next? any help would be great thanks...

Sausage and mash. And a pint. Didn't bring my bike back either, but at least I wasn't hungry! :lol:
  • mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    you didn't get it nicked in SE London did you?