Carrera Fury 09 bottom brackets

FavouriteColour
FavouriteColour Posts: 27
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, my furys bottom bracket seems to be dying so I'm looking to replace it but I'm unsure what size it is.

This is the bottom bracket that is currently on, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=21496

I'm guessing it would be 68 x 113mm, but not sure and can't measure it yet because the crank bolt is stuck and I need to drill it out.

Was thinking of upgrading it to this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2962 Does this seem good enough?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well you have linked to two incompatible BBs.

what is your cranks fitting is it Powerspline or is it ISIS.

and find out the length before ordering.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ahh you can tell I know nothing about BBs. My current BB is the first one I linked, the Truvativ Powerspline, so I'm guessing my cranks fitting is powerspline, although I'm not totally sure what this means. I'm guessing it means an ISIS BB wouldn't fit my current cranks?

I don't really want to spend too much and don't care about weight just want to be able to ride without creaking/problems.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ahh you can tell I know nothing about BBs. My current BB is the first one I linked, the Truvativ Powerspline, so I'm guessing my cranks fitting is powerspline, although I'm not totally sure what this means. I'm guessing it means an ISIS BB wouldn't fit my current cranks?

correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Also it means that you'll probably need to replace the BB again very very soon, Powerspline are pretty poor and afaik there's no higher quality alternative. Personally I'd upgrade the whole crankset to Deore and swap the rings over, you'll most likely go through 2 or more BBs in the time it takes to wear out 1 Deore BB so it'll pay for itself in no time and you'll have spare rings to boot.

Not that there's anything much wrong with the cranks you have, I just objected to feeding them BBs on such a regular basis.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yeah I just had a read about how the powerspline bbs don't fit many cranks, so I guess I'll just upgrade to a deore crankset.

Looks like I can get one for £50 that is pretty much the same as my current one, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496 . Do I have to buy a bottom bracket for this? And is there any other sizing I need to make sure is the same as what I have now?
    It says Bolt Circle (mm):104 / 64mm, what does this mean?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It comes with an external type BB. Park Tools website will show you how to fit - but you should go to a shop to have the frame faced.

BCD is the geometry of the holes for the chainring bolts. Makes no odds here.

Chainring size however is important. If you go for a larger outer ring than you have you will need a new chain - infact is is a wise idea to get a new chain anyway.
  • I recently bought a new chain + rear cassette 2 weeks ago because my other had worn and I've done about 350 miles on it since. It should be ok right?

Also, what does it mean to have my frame faced?
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    FavouriteColour

That should be fine

Having the frame faced is where the remove a layer of paint removed from the BB shell on the frame so that the 2 faces (ends) and both perfectly flat and paralell for putting an external BB on. It means the bearings arent wonky, spin smoothly and dont wear out

Hope that answers your question
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Thanks for the info. How hard would that be to do myself with no experience of doing it before? Also, would much do shops usually charge to get the farm faced?

I don't know much about bikes but when something breaks I like fixing/fitting things myself so I can do it easier next time :P
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    15 quid for the facing usually.

Might as well get them to install the chainset too.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Facing is easy to do, but the tool is bloody expensive, about £150+ IIRC so you are better off taking to the LBS as sonic said
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"