When do I get paid?

How long before the training pays off?

I just did a 1 hour ftp test. just doing this test should be enough stress to the system to make my ftp rise? yes?

so how long does it take for 2x20 intervals and hard sst stuff to 'work' and for the body to adapt?

if it's immediate (its not) it wuould mean an ftp test would always be 1 step behind your real ftp. obviously theres a time delay but by how much?

is it possible to calculate it? can you say that an hour at ftp will give an increase of a certain number of watts after a certain number of days?

I asked a coach this at the local velodrome and he said it depends on the individual. :roll: nice specific answer there. :lol:

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Despite the use of power meters and their undoubted aid to training methods. Training and consequent results will never be a simple calculation/formula.

The coach is right. Also, i don't think a bunch of internet forumers will have a more specific answer than the coach (if so it's likely to be theory based - training is about being specific to your body). Definitely not if they've got nothing to go by (i.e. your personal 'stats').

I supose you can only try certain training excercises and see what happens. This is where the knowledgable people of this forum give you advice on which excercises to do and which may be best for you.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I've heard 2 x 20 mins described (by Toks ? ) as a 'slow drip effect' and most other measurable training effects will take weeks to have effect - cells have to grow , more enzymes be made , nerve paths get established etc - not something that happens overnight whatever the load you place on your body.
    I would guess 4 - 8 weeks for most stuff , longer for endurance type stuff and shorter for stuff like blood volume etc. And I think the idea that if you gain it quickly you probably lose it just as quickly applies too - so training needs to be specific for your goals and regular... hopping from one thing to anther will give you variation adn general imprvements but nothing specific...may be!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I asked a coach this at the local velodrome and he said it depends on the individual. :roll: nice specific answer there. :lol:
    Given the number of variables at play, what did you expect?
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    hills hills hills loads of them.
    going downhill slowly
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Soon as I start doing 2x20's it doesn't take long for my TT times to improve.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • ah but how long? :wink:

ok. maybe there's no exact answer but what improvements are people seeing?

every time I do an ftp test (21 days) I see a 2 or 3 watt improvement. I saw a 4 watt improvement the other day probably because ive been doing 3 hours of >15min ftp intervals per week for the past 4 weeks.

so what are your experiences?

all the bodys adapting will probably be slowed down if the right nutrition isnt there. right? mine was poor but its improved a lot and the power numbers seem more stable.

if I want to do 10 mile TTs but only do 15-20 minute ftp intervals max then would my TTing suffer if im doing 25 minute times? (above what im normally used to?)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Usually see the improvements within a couple of weeks. I dont worry about ftp tests and the like, so long as my times come down then I'm happy.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.