Rotor Size

Razer_MTB
Razer_MTB Posts: 361
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi folks,

how much of a difference do you find when moving to a larger rotor?

Currently have quad qhd-1 hydros with 160mm rotors, but have just picked up a set of deore m595's today and just bought a 2 pack of alligator rotors on fleabay. My only concern is that the only ones they had left was a 2 pack of 203's. i was thinking of getting 180's or maybe a 180 back/203 front but have ended up with 203's front and rear.

Are 203's at both ends likely to kill me?

cheers
sam
whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Depends if you slam your brakes on a lot. You also need a caliper mount thingy to fit bigger discs, I think.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Given that the Deore is one of the most powerful brakes on the market, the 203 might make them too sharp.

180/160 for an average weight rider on average trails.
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    bugger, should be interesting then. (maybe i should invest in a superman costume for when i fly over the bars :lol:

i tend to feather the brakes as i like to carry a lot of speed, i suppose i'll be able to one finger brake quite easily though.
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I've seen many a bike with 203/203. I use 203/185 on my AM with Avid Code squeezers
    Be gentle and they will bring you to a controlled stop, be zealous and you will wash out or faceplant..
  • ive got a 203mm tektro auigura on the front, and 160mm on the rear. the front stops like hitting a wall, and i replaced the 160 (which was on the front) cause i couldnt stop it with that
    so yes, a 203mm rotor makes a huge difference over a 160mm
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    just put on an extra 5 stone to justify the big rotors.
    hows that for latteral thinking !
    :D
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    biff55 wrote:
    just put on an extra 5 stone to justify the big rotors.
    hows that for latteral thinking !
    :D

or horizontal thinking!

I have just ordered a 180 alligator for my Tektro Comps looking forward to tyring them out