Ace.. i'm off to halfords with me dad!

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited May 2010 in MTB general
hahahaha... my dad has just said he wants to get a bike :D

When I was a little scrot we used to ride all the fire roads around grizedale/whinlatter and he's said he wants to do it again now that he's retired!
Plus he needs to lose a bit of weight and it'd be a great way for me to spend some time with him :D

So we're off to halfords to look at what is on offer... budget around £500 - £600!

It'll be nice spending someone elses money for once :D

Is the Fury worth the extra over the GT XC2?

Or would it just be better to get the Kracken and save some spondoolics?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Make sure you get a test around the carpark :wink:

I'd have a look at the Voodoo Bokor too.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Join the club mate :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    supersonic wrote:

I'd have a look at the Voodoo Bokor too.

+1 I had a look at a Bokor and it looks the dogs danglies with brilliant kit on it
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was my dad who first got me into mountain biking. We used to head off into the hills, and then started going to Coed y Brenin on a regular basis. My dad was pretty handy, he could smash the rough sections no problem on our rigids.
    He fell off once doing the old karrimor trail though, and fractured a vertebrae in his neck. He spent quite a bit of time off the bike after that.
    Unfortunately, years later he had to be put on blood pressure medication which took away all his energy, leaving him properly knackered all the time, by the time that got sorted he was a "broken" man.

I still miss those days me and my dad spent together riding, and am gratefull for him introducing me to mountain biking. Make the best of the time you have with your dad, it's a great feeling to share something like that.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The thing about the Kraken is, it's really quite nice but the forks and wheels need looking after, the XCRs work surprisingly well when they work but it took very little neglect to absolutely kill mine- the seals are rubbish and the bushings are soft so as soon as mud got in, they developed play and became very sticky and juddery. Which was a shame. So, if he gets a Kraken, or anything else with XCRs and Formula hubs, look after it. If you go a little higher you'll get a better bike but also it'll probably last a bit better too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sold on the Fury.... that is one bloody nice machine! I'm jealous!

The shop setup was kak btw... the riser bars were in the wrong position for starters, not even close to where they should be!

Anyways, size seemed fine so just ordering one now!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice frames too on the Fury - Pace esque.

Forks are very well made too.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:

everytime i go to halford si always go and look in the bikehut section and that fury always stands out as an ace loking bike, i used to really like the 08(i think) black one, it looked pure class.

if i didnt hate ht bikes so much and if i didnt already have a hardtail i never ride, id be well tempted to get one.
  • Anonymous
    Sheeps, your hardtail experiment has been abandoned then? I was away for some time and missed that.
  • Anonymous
    Sheeps, your hardtail experiment has been abandoned then? I was away for some time and missed that.

yeah, i really enjoyed the on one even for the short time i had it, then the orange was good fun too, but once the novelty wore off i realised still preferred the fs bikes for everything, im at the point now where i pretty much only ride the enduro. i still have a giant rainier in the garden going rusty all over just so i am qualified for ht vs fs arguments.
  • Anonymous
    My hardtail has been dissasembled too. This just reminded me to remove it from my sig.
  • supersonic wrote:

yup it looks very tidy indeed.

Looked at the Kracken and the forks look horrible and the frame looks no where near as nice!

The GT XC2 looked good too... just the spec on the Fury was much superior!
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Didn't you test tide an Apollo XC.26?

I dream of owning such a monster one day. Apparently, they don't need any maintenance, ever!
  • hehe I did see the BIGGEST saddle i've ever seen in my entire life.

On some female town bike.... not joking, you could sit 4 adults on it comfortably! 2 on the front and 2 on the back!

Ridiculous!
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    Don't overlook the Boardman range. Great bikes, great spec and great price.
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • Dubzy wrote:
    Don't overlook the Boardman range. Great bikes, great spec and great price.

Too late :P

Plus... my dad is more of a clysedale so I wouldn't trust him on the boardman frame!
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    i bought my dad gt agressor xc 3 back when they were 300 quid but he never rides it :cry:
  • Halfords = Fail.

Went back today to pick up the bike we had pre ordered, only to find out it was the one we tried yesterday in the shop... the display model.

Now I would have been happy to accept it if it wasn't covered in scratches on the top tube from the bike lock they use to secure it on the rack, or if they tyres weren't half worn from car park test rides.

Wouldn't give a discount. Wouldn't agree to get us a different one.

So tonight we are ordering a boxed Fury and getting it delivered to home instead.

What a fecking farce.
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    I have a display model fury, but they did give me a discount. I hadn't been used either by the looks of things. It has always been kept on the top rack right at the back. There's no way they could be bothered to take it down for test rides.

I guess it depends who you are dealing with.
  • Yea they wouldn't budge on a discount.

TBH... i wanted to put it together anyways. The one in the shop was pretty appalling.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    TBH... i wanted to put it together anyways.

your dad has made out a will , right ?
    :wink::D
  • biff55 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    TBH... i wanted to put it together anyways.

your dad has made out a will , right ?
    :wink::D

hehe... i wouldn't let him near it til i'd had a full check/fettle!!

Canny wait to hit the trails with him!!