Week in Wales

simon2names
simon2names Posts: 56
edited May 2010 in Routes
Evening all,
I'm planning on using some of my leave to go and have a decent crack at the welsh trail centres having only done Coed y Brenin before. I have a whole week off work (woohoo) and was after your sage advice on which ones to do, how long to spend at each and whether to camp (in a nomadic, getting back to nature kind of way) or just B&B it.
Any and all suggestions eagerly accepted,
Cheers,
Si

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I would camp as it's cheap.

And the basis of where to go i would say depends on where you live(so ease to get too) and how fit you are(how many trails per day, and days in a row).
  • simon2names
    simon2names Posts: 56
    I live in sutton coldfield, north brum, so will be driving wherever i decide to go to. My fitness is reasonable, sufficient to do pretty much 5 of the 7 days full riding. I'm wondering whether to start at the bottom ie Afan and work my way north or vice versa.
    These really are the important decisions in life!

Simon
  • flowpro
    flowpro Posts: 64
    You could do.

Cwmcarn you can make a day of it if you do the downhill run a few times as well as the red xc route. You can camp there.

Afan 1day doing skyline the other day do W2 and you can camp onsite.

Brecha red and black that's one day.

Nant Yr Arian that's a lovely run 35km I think you could call in and do Climax in Machynlleth the same day.

Llandegla is worth a visit they have red and black route.

Don't foget the bridleways how about doing the Doethie Valley that's stunning.
    Or Brecon beacons.

There is so much to do I'm doing a similar trip in two weeks.

Enjoy :)
  • Hothouse
    Hothouse Posts: 27
    Whilst you're heading north, make sure you take in Penmachno. Nice and quiet compared to the centres, but a real good test :)
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Weirdly I was just coming on to post exactly the same thing!

I'm heading to Aberystwyth for a Christening so chucking the bike(s) and a tent into the car with the same intention. I've been to Afan before but wondering what to take in this time.

If you wouldn't mind me posting an extra question, which bike should I take? 140mm FS Boardman or the 180/160mm Iron Horse? XC with a compromise on the tough dh or tough up, fun down????

Very interested to see what suggestions you get for trails as I might head there too!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike