Folding Bike Advice

GWhizMan
GWhizMan Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in Road general
Hello!

Completely new to this forum and haven't owned a bike in years. To cut a long story short, I'm thinking of purchasing a bike and one which folds appeals, though I am aware that this will impact on the overall quality of the item. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonably priced (budget if possible), folding bike with hybrid capabilities (to run around town and possibly also take into the country) - one that's good quality and easy to use. I know that I am asking way to much and I'll be asking for the moon on a stick next, but I live in hope.

Many thanks.

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    The agony of choice..Theres a lot to choose from. with wheels 16" to 26".You will hear of Bromptons Dahon etc.but you need to think about aftersales service avaliablity if you aint good at DIY..A 16"Wheel Brompton is my personal favourite cos you can take it on a bus, Downside is it needs a bit of servicing and a visit to a Brompton dealer to repair it.I Also have a Dahon folding mountain bike..The Dahon is all more all terrain but taking iton the bus(bagged) is very hit and miss cos mine which has 26"wheels.Dahon have smaller,models .Dozens of cheap imported stuff on Ebay to look at if you are on a budget..
    jc
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    All folding bikes are a compromise between riding performance, portability and ease of fold.
    Folding size is usually determined by wheel size.
    20" is normal and OK for public transport, car boots, cupboards. Most Dahons are 20"
    16" is ultracompact for easier carry and crowded public transport. Bromton is 16"
    26" (MTB) rides like a normal bike but is too large for daily public transport carry.
    There are some 24" bikes, the sporty Airnimal and the townie Dahon.

The fold can be a simple hinge, or a double hinged arrangement for ultra-compact fold.
    Some folding bikes are really taketown travel bikes thgat take too long to assemble for everyday foldup.

Many folders can take mudguards and luggage rack. Brommies take a lot of luggage at the front as well as the rear.

I use a 26" Dahon but it rarely gets folded.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd test ride a few to make sure your compromise doesn't impact on what you want to use it for - if ride quality it key, go for the biggest wheels you can - anything smaller that 20" might be a problem on rougher terrain.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..