North Somerset/Bristol Routes for novice

TLil
TLil Posts: 5
edited May 2010 in Routes
New to mountain biking and living just south of Bristol I'm looking for advise about routes. Have ridden over Cadbury camp so far. Potential routes around Backwell, as well as Ashton Court and Leigh Woods. But where would you guys suggest?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Mendips is the obvious one. Exmoor if you're willing to travel, over here in S Wales I know a few secret routes. :roll:

Or you could become a Cwmcarn weekender.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There is loads around the Mendips. Just buy the east & west mendips OS maps. Cheddar is a good place to start exploring, priddy & burrington coombe are only a few miles away and pretty good. I know plenty of trails arond the Frome (Great Elm & Mells) & Longleat. Stourhead has loads of trails, I have just started exploring the woods there.
    The Quantocks arent far from Brizzle, maybe an hour and a bit and there are some awesome rides there.
    I know there is a freeride area in Asham Quarry / woods near frome & some downhill in bath near the uni. Salisbury plain could be good in the dry but I don't fancy riding on wet chalk.
    I have only been riding off road for a few months, I just bought a load of OS maps and head for anywhere with bridleways that look interesting (steep hills, woods, stream crossings etc)
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    Mendips is probably your best bet for trails near to you. We usally go out on tuesday and friday nights and most weekends, if you fancy coming along to explore send us a PM.