My bargain Trek Madone 5.2

20yearsagotoday
20yearsagotoday Posts: 19
edited December 2010 in Your road bikes
Hi everyone, here is my Trek Madone 5.2 I picked up on eBay. The bike had been upgraded heavily when bought but with just 50 miles 'on the clock' the owner decided to sell to upgrade to a 5.9. This was good news for me as the bike was in absolute mint condition and it meant I picked up a £2500+ bike for just £900. The upgraded parts alone cost the guy £650. Spec as below:

OCLV 120 Carbon Fibre Frame and Forks
Shimano Ultegra 10spd groupset
Bontrager Race X-Lite Wheels
Bontrager Race X-Lite Carbon Chainset
Bontrager Race XXX-Lite Full Carbon Bars
Bontrager Race XXX-Lite Full Carbon Stem
Bontrager Race XXX-Lite Full Carbon Seatpillar
Bontrager Race X-Lite Titanium Saddle

The bike is shown 'wearing' my other eBay bargain - the wheels. These are brand new and unused Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 full carbon wheels and came complete with tyres. The wheels retail at around £1700 but I picked them up for £800.

I'm not sure of the bike's weight but it moves and moves fast!

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

01fullbike.jpg
02stemfront.jpg
03stemtop.jpg
04stemside.jpg
05frontend.jpg
06crank.jpg
07rearend.jpg
It's not that life's too short...it's just that you're dead for so long.

1996 GT LTS-1
2008 Cannondale Prophet 1000
2010 Genesis Croix de Fer
2014 Storck Scenero G2
2014 BMC SLR01

Comments

• lockersgm
    lockersgm Posts: 37
    Very Nice. In fact, it's nearly as nice as mine!! :wink:
    How do you find the ride compared to other bikes that you have had?
    Any comments on the Aeolus wheels?
  • Ha, not just a teeny bit biased there are you?!
    I've been riding for as long as I can remember but I've never had a decent bike before. My last bike was a Halfords special for £350. I thought it was about time I treated myself to a better quality bike, hence the Trek.
    I've only used the wheels for an hour so far but first impressions are that they are really nice. They get up to speed quickly and don't take much effort to stay there.

1996 GT LTS-1
    2014 Storck Scenero G2
    2014 BMC SLR01
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    love the 'added' lettering on the r/h chainstay - courtesy of Trek's legal department.. ;)
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Love it!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I never manage to find the ebay bargains like this.And when I do they are always the wrong bloody size!

Lovely bike and very envious! 8)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    That bike look like the one I got nicked 2 weeks ago!!!! (apart from the wheels)
    Where do you live so I can check it out?
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Only joking!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very nice bike!!!
  • itchieritchie
    itchieritchie Posts: 332
    Not a fan of the paint scheme on Trek bikes, but that is a bargain, no question.

Loving Mr. Percy Vera's comedic turn there...would like to have seen your face when you read that..!!

On a serious note, don't suppose the guy showed you any receipts did he? Just seems odd to spend that much on upgrading then give up and upgrade to an entirely different bike.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    hope the bike is not recycled
    going downhill slowly
  • Percy Vera wrote:
    That bike look like the one I got nicked 2 weeks ago!!!!

Haha, I like a good sense of humour so that was a good one! And yes my face was a picture for minute then. In fact, I had to read it a couple of times and then I noticed the second comment...

Yes I have the receipts for both bike and wheels so no question of them being 'hot'. Real bargains are hard to find on eBay which is why I was so pleased to get this. I put one maximum bid of £1300 on but since I was the only bidder I got it for the starting bid of £900.

I've no idea why the guy spend so much on this bike to then sell it after a few weeks. I guess some people have more money than sense!

1996 GT LTS-1
    2014 Storck Scenero G2
    2014 BMC SLR01
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I have the 5.9 Aero model with similar spec but Race X Lite wheels, Ultegra SL with 6700 carbon shifters, same OCLV Boron Bars and non carbon post and stem.

I got mine via Cycling Weekly Classifieds and paid £1300 - all the bits on the bike were brand new and unused as the seller had bought the frame 3 years ago but never got round to doing anything with it until last November when he decided to build the bike up. Had the intention of using it this summer but decided to sell it to offset the cost of the Di2 he had put on his Madone 6.9!

Love the bike. The ride is quick and light - you can feel the bike pick up immediately when you push on.

Enjoy - you have a cracking bike there.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    A beautiful bargain indeed... :shock:
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • nitesight
    nitesight Posts: 119
    900 Quid. :shock: Bloody stunning......
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    £900 quid too good to be true?me thinks he is talking porkies.
    going downhill slowly
  • alkaseltsa
    alkaseltsa Posts: 11
    ooooooo.... That looks expensive, you got a bargain.... VERY NICE!!
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    Nice bike, I think it's a 2006 model with that odd looking rear wheel cut out. That looks like a 56cm? Anyway, why has it got a long cage rear mech, the chainset isn't compact is it?
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    The chainset is compact and have to agree why the geezer left a long cage mech on it.. costs little enough to put a s/c on tho'
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • To all those commenting, it's a 2006 Madone, although it's a 58cm not a 56cm. And yes, £900 honest guv but not with those wheels as I got it with Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels.

The guy I bought it from changed the chainset to the Bontrager carbon and to be honest, I never noticed it had a long cage rear mech. I've been cycling for years but never had what I would call a decent bike so all this talk about compact chainsets and long cage mechs is pretty lost on me. What would be the advantage of having a short cage mech?

1996 GT LTS-1
    2014 Storck Scenero G2
    2014 BMC SLR01
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    What's the last post all about? :roll:
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    It took him 6 months to come up wih that :lol:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Lovely bike by the way. Didn't really appreciate it at the time but ye olde Madone is a rather nice looking machine.