Planet X Ti Sportive (Dura Ace)

elcani
elcani Posts: 280
edited June 2010 in Your road bikes
Finally took a few quick pics of the Planet X I bought when they had the 20% off Dura Ace offer, earlier this year.

A few spec details:

PX Model B Wheels
Rubino Pro 3 tyres
Zip Carbon bars and stem
Exotic carbon seatpost (soon to be swapped for a Ti one)
Selle Italia Thoork Gel Flow Saddle
LifeLine Ti bottle cages

I love it.

4616789658_6c52a0d36b_o.jpg

4616790128_e5f56cf307_o.jpg

4616790688_c5d3017482_o.jpg

4616176665_e66240d64a_o.jpg

Comments

• brh77
    brh77 Posts: 242
    Class- those bikes look great.......nice cages too!
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    That is very nice indeed
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    lovely bike im jealous
  • dubnut71
    dubnut71 Posts: 123
    There's a degree of classic simplicity mixed with downright whoooar right there!!!!!

Nice, very nice!

:D
    Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
    Merlin Malt 1
    Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
    Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Stunning bike....Looks so understated but so classy...Love the bike stand btw, rather you than me!!
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • cranefly
    cranefly Posts: 1
    Very nice, very tempted indeed
    Is that the 2010 version with room for guards? looks like it from the amount of room between wheel and seat seat tube.

And what size is that?
  • elcani
    Thanks for all the nice comments.

Bought the bike in Feb this year and it apparently has room for guards, but only with 23mm tyres. Having said that, the fork has no eyelets. Doesn't bother me though as I use Crud Road Racer guards, which I fitted last weekend for a wet ride. When the bike is in 'touring mode' it'll have these on plus a rack fitted using the Tubus brackets that bolt on to the seat stays (basically nicely engineered p-clips).

Size is a XXL.

The only problem now is that I've developed Ilotibial Band Syndrome and need to spend some time off the bike doing tedious stretches and exercises. B*gger.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Always like a tidy Ti.

Have a look at some King cages (in ti) if you feel flush.
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    ElCani wrote:
    When the bike is in 'touring mode' it'll have these on plus a rack fitted using the Tubus brackets that bolt on to the seat stays (basically nicely engineered p-clips).

Seriously nice bit of kit 8)

Wondered if you could offer a bit of advice to a road noob?

I'm thinking about acquiring a Ribble Sportive or Gran Fondo carbon frame, with a view to using it mostly for road racing or sportives (duh), but would like to be able to occasionally add a couple of lightweight panniers for touring. How could you attach a pannier rack? I've heard others talk about mounting the lower arms via the skewers, or by using p-clips on the frame, but don't feel entirely confident about doing that on a carbon bike.

Any advice gratefully received, and apologies if this is addressed elsewhere in the forums.

Cheers
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • elcani
    As far as I know any sort of clamping of carbon is a no no unless the part has been specifically designed to take the load (e.g. a carbon seat post). I certainly wouldn't use the Tubus clamps or p-clips on carbon seat stays.

Looks like you'll have to get a Ti bike :wink:
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Thanks ElCani, kind of thought that might be the case. As for Ti........ :shock: ...might buy a Ti seatpost tho' :wink:

Did a bit of digging last night and Tubus do a 'long' skewer and adapter bracket, mated up with their Fly rack (which attaches at the caliper bolts). The other option is the Tubus skewer thingy with a seatpost converter that allows you to attach a normal rack that usually requires braze-ons.

Don't plan on carrying much weight in the panniers, just enough for LEJOG
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Beautiful :D

A Ti bike is my next wishlist bike!
    What are the wheels like?
  • elcani
    Did a bit of digging last night and Tubus do a 'long' skewer and adapter bracket, mated up with their Fly rack (which attaches at the caliper bolts). The other option is the Tubus skewer thingy with a seatpost converter that allows you to attach a normal rack that usually requires braze-ons.

Sounds like a good solution.
    What are the wheels like?

I'm very happy with them, they're light and the bearings are smooth - but, I've not got experience of high-end wheels. I am tempted to get a pair of Shimano RS80s and shift the Model Bs to my GFs bike.