Question about bike forks...

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Ok, the first of many daft questions....

Having just got a lovely new Orange 5 frame (female specific), I now needs all the other bits. I can see from the original spec that it would have had a Fox 32 Float R 140 fork. I can get a Fox 32 Float RL 140 for a good price - but what's the difference?

Is the RL just a newer model? Or what can / can't it do that the other one can?

Apologies if this is a very stupid question :oops:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • miss notax
    Aha, thank you!!! I've seen a few for £300... Before I batter my credit card (again), is this a good price?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• supersonic
    It is a very good price. But you can also get a RS Revelation Race for that which has even more adjustments.
  • miss notax
    I have no idea what that is.... :oops:

I've got a Fox Fork on the superlight and i've always been very happy with that, so unless there's something stunning that i'm an idiot for not getting then I think i'm happy with that. :D

Probably... :? :wink:

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    miss notax wrote:
    I have no idea what that is.... :oops:

I've got a Fox Fork on the superlight and i've always been very happy with that, so unless there's something stunning that i'm an idiot for not getting then I think i'm happy with that. :D

Probably... :? :wink:

RS Revelation race

Each manufacturer has it's fans who will say that x fork is better than y fork because of z reasons. But it really does all boil down to personal preference. If you've got experience with the Fox forks, and you're happy with them, why fix what aint broke.

Still, if it was me, I'd be going with the RS, purely because as Sonic says, they're more adjustable, so allow better fine-tuning. And also because you dont need to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for the servicing.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    miss notax wrote:

A rockshox fork
  • miss notax
    Hmmm, ok, will have a look into this then :D

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The Revs are ace. A bit 'twangy' in some situations (like when a 200lb muppet lands front first on them) but otherwise most excellent. Simple and easy to adjust and more importantly the adjustments actually do something.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    You can't go wrong with Fox, there's fancier stuff out there and certainly cheaper stuff, but for the uninitiated they don't make a bad product. I've never seen a Fox Fork or Shock get less than a 4/5 review.

Personally I tend to go for the 'R' stuff because rebound is about all my feeble mind can understand, but a lockout is well handy.
  • miss notax
    P-Jay wrote:
    You can't go wrong with Fox, there's fancier stuff out there and certainly cheaper stuff, but for the uninitiated they don't make a bad product. I've never seen a Fox Fork or Shock get less than a 4/5 review.

Personally I tend to go for the 'R' stuff because rebound is about all my feeble mind can understand, but a lockout is well handy.

This may be my issue also - whilst I understand the benefits of a more adjustable fork, I don't honestly know if I would ever actually use it myself :oops:

I am MTBing tonight so will ask people in the pub afterwards and see what the optinion is!!

• supersonic
    Most will say Fox I bet lol.

The more adjustable a fork is, the better you can tune it to your weight and style.

The Rev has oppsosed dual air springs. The second spring allows you to tune how supple the start of the stroke is. Very easy to do.

Also has an adjustable compression damper. Set in on minimum for maximum fork movement, on maximum to lock out, or anywhere inbetween to your taste. You can tune out fork bob and dive.

When locked out you can even adjust the force it takes to blow off.

Rebound damping allows the speed of return to be controlled.

It takes just a ride to sort all this out.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    miss notax wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

This may be my issue also - whilst I understand the benefits of a more adjustable fork, I don't honestly know if I would ever actually use it myself :oops:

I am MTBing tonight so will ask people in the pub afterwards and see what the optinion is!!

I don't ether, I've got rebound on my 36's and I can use that and the air pressure to set them exactly how I want them.
    I've got the full RC3 WC 888's on my DH bike and it took me an age to get them working right. In hindsight I think I would have preferred to just use factory defaults for Volume, Compression etc or get TF to tune them to where I want.
    If you truly know what you’re doing with them I’m sure to could twiddle the knobs to your heart’s content and get them riding exactly as you want, but given too many variables I usually just end up making everything worse.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX.

ahem. Not that I have a favourite or anything :lol:
  • miss notax
    Excellent. Now who would like to lend me £300 to buy them.... :lol::lol:

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, for reasons I will not go into, I have my friend's credit card in my pocket.....

:lol: :twisted:
  • miss notax
    Brilliant. It's a plan..... :wink:

No? Ah well, looks like it'll be my credit card and living off dust until pay day then :? :D