Lapierre Zesty bottom bracket

onlytovey
onlytovey Posts: 49
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
The bottom bracket on my zesty is a grinding mess so i'm looking for advice on the most cost effective way to sort it out. As far as i know it is a shimano press fit along the lines of the BB90. I have identified a few potential replacements such as this: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id256.html however i was wondering what other people have done to fix theirs.

I'd like to know if the one that's currently fitted has cartridge bearsing or loose bearings and races because that'll influence my decisions. also if people have done full replacements what would they recommend.

ta

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    What crankset do you have?
  • onlytovey
    i'm using an slx
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I got one of those although the ceramic ones for my Zesty. Ended up removing it due to incompetence on my behalf (thought a creak was it so replaced with new XTR as fitted standard, creak still there, was the chain ahem, left XTR in for now...) it spun SO freely in ceramic form at least, 6+ full revs with no chain compared to 2 at most for shimano. The stock XTR is catridge bearing, problem is the frame gets so much water in from rear facing seat post slot and the standard headset which is bearings in a race and useless, replaced mine with a Hope one
  • onlytovey
    edited May 2010
    Regarding that rear facing seat post slot i found that you can stop stuff getting in there by turning the quick release collar around and then using a small section of old inner tube cut to size to cover the remaining gap. I've spent the winter riding the skanky trails in south wales and not had a problem. i reckon you could also fix it with a bit of tape or a cut off from an old chainstay protector.

My headset was also a mess so i replaced it with one from superstar components for £28. its much better and the red one matches the rest of the anodizing. muchos pimpos!

So would i be right in thinking that they are cartridge bearings then? would they be the 25x37x7 mm ones?
  • breezer
    Interesting, keep meaning to stick something over it heh.

Not sure of the exact size im afraid. I could try and measure the ceramic ones tonight with my verniers but they are still in the plastic cup etc so may not be accurate, I think its pretty hard to remove them without maiming the plastic bit. I had to smash out the original xtr BB and did minor damage to this ceramic one when I took it back out when I thought it was faulty.

I used a home made headset press to get them in btw, threaded rod and some large plates/washers with holes in, do one side at a time
  • onlytovey
    yeah don't go mashing up your gear on my behalf. Fear of destructively testing mine is what's making me come on here asking questions.

My home made headset press was a flat piece of wood and some carefull hammering, worked a treat.
  • breezer
    heh thats what ive always used before but failed with that method getting the new one into the Zesty so did this instead

HeadSetPress.jpg
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    for the seat slot, try this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48475

crank bros quick release seat clamp with a small cover for the slot :) works great