Best drop bar mirror?

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Whats the best drop bar mirror people have come across for commuting or road bike training?

pics, links welcome.

Cheers, Geordiefella.
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Busch & Muller cyclestar bar end mirror. Cant find a picture of it fitted anywhere.
    901_2.jpg
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I have no idea what it was called but at the London bike show last year there was a stand selling a new design mirror. The mirror fitted to the headtube of the bike and you viewed behind through your legs. They had a bike set up to try and believe me it was really good..I've never used mirrors (I worry about where I'm going not where I've been!) but was very tempted to buy one of these...about a tenner I think.

Why didn't I buy one...you can't see much if you use panniers :-(

Will try to find them online later if I get time. Well worth a look.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have the Blackburn Multi-fit mirror, it works very well, and can be pulled back in line with the bar to facilitate leaning the bike or getting through narrow spaces. Good rear view, very durable, takes knocks okay (unlike the cateye one I had!).
    12925.jpg
  • essex-commuter
    Will try to find them online later if I get time. Well worth a look.

Found it:

http://www.bike-eye.com/
  • thanks all.

i tried the bikeeye. doesn't work well. too far down on the frame. I think i'll give the blackburn a go, there;s one for drop bar shifter attachements.

and there's this too
    http://www.wildoo.co.uk/mirrors.htm

Geordiefella
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    thanks all.

i tried the bikeeye. doesn't work well. too far down on the frame. I think i'll give the blackburn a go, there;s one for drop bar shifter attachements.
    I think the one that goes in the bar end is a better bet, more secure fitting, more out of the way, easier to "park" when parking.
  • True. Anyone want to go halfers, they come in pairs. Only need one. PM me and paypal 9.99 for half of my pair if you fancy it.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • essex-commuter
    True. Anyone want to go halfers,

You have a PM.
  • no i don't fella. must have gone astray. try again
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • essex-commuter
    no i don't fella. must have gone astray. try again

Think I PM'd the wrong person :oops:

Have a look now....
  • thanks Mark

SOLD!
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • itssam
    itssam Posts: 31
    sorry to resurrect but did these turn out to be any good? tempted to buy a pair....
  • essex-commuter
    itssam wrote:
    sorry to resurrect but did these turn out to be any good? tempted to buy a pair....

Unfortunately the pair were 'handed' so we couldn't split as we both wanted a right hand mirror each!!!!
  • geordiefella
    yeah, i use the right handed one all the time. absolutely great for riding generally or spotting potential threats in the final beach front after work sprint with the boys!
    I'd recommend them, shame they come as a pair though, i only use the right hand one. its shaped so works differently on each side with the viewing angle.
    Geordiefella
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    don't see the point in mirrors for cycles, surely you'd want to check over your shoulder before making a move anyway right?
  • geordiefella
    Of course, but that's like saying you don't see the point in mirrors for car drivers isn't it. Anything that gives you more insight on the road while either commuting or road riding/training can only be good if it allows a glance and is suitably discreet and well positioned.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • Mr_Cellophane
    Mr_Cellophane Posts: 690
    thanks all.
    and there's this too
    http://www.wildoo.co.uk/mirrors.htm
    Available Colours: Black

How does that work when the one in the photo is white ? :roll:

sprintech.jpg
  • prj45 wrote:
    don't see the point in mirrors for cycles, surely you'd want to check over your shoulder before making a move anyway right?
    Some people want to be aware of what is around them even when they are not manoeuvering. </facetious - I appreciate you didn't mean to limit the comment that way>

I wouldn't ever say that they substitute for a good over/under the shoulder look (I would advocate always shoulder checking, when possible, before altering course or suddenly adjusting speed), but sometimes mirrors alert you to things that you wouldn't be aware of until your next shoulder check. They are additional information, not a replacement for a shoulder check; but nonetheless can provide helpful feedback from around you between checks.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    +1 I use mirrors a lot, I know what i'm going to see in my shoulder check, often now I find that i'm doing that more for the drivers benefit than my own, just to give them a visual clue i'm thinking of a change in direction.

I have a damaged neck and too much lateral movement is difficult and painful for me, don't be so quick to diss mirrors PRJ45 - I'd be another f***ing motorist without mirrors on my bikes.

back to topic - have a look at the zefal spy mrror small and unobtrusive, no vibration, goes anywhere and a doddle to fit & is interchange between bikes.
  • essex-commuter
    Was in Halfrauds last week and picked up one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 360007169/

Been testing it for a week and I'm pretty impressed! The good thing about this design is that it folds down when not in use so it doesn't get in the way. It can also be angled out wider than my bars which means I get a view around my rear pannier...result! I have it set so that I can just see the edge of my pannier, this addresses my OCD which makes me check every 5 minutes to see that the pannier is still attached...I've never lost one in my life but that makes no difference!

Fiver well spent.