Your TT position - pics

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    One of the few problems I don't seem to have is the Bell Meteor sticking up:

Here's me, an awful lot of work to do, lots of which I know this was just the position that came up, no problems riding at 100% of road power, but I'm pretty sure I can get it more aero:
    7da_7395_4787440.jpeg
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Bars up so your forearms are (more) horizontal?

I've now sorted my helmet out :)
    http://www.kimroyphotography.com/galler ... emId=48481
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Bars up so your forearms are (more) horizontal?

Yes, others have suggested the same, I'm going to drop the bars the 1 remaining spacer, and angle up the bars, and I'll stop carrying a water bottle (I desperately need to drink at the end of a 25 minute all out effort) after the stick Xavier gave me for it

Anyone know how much of a difference closing my mouth might make?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    jibberjim wrote:
    Anyone know how much of a difference closing my mouth might make?

Well if you can't get as much air in the lungs, then you will likely go slower :wink:

Anyhow you only did a 21 min effort the other weekend :wink: , you must try harder to get those 4 extra minutes in. :lol:

Jeff I moved the bars up a little on my bike, didn't slow me down at all, set a new PB at the weekend. :D
  • Jeff Jones
    SBezza wrote:
    Jeff I moved the bars up a little on my bike, didn't slow me down at all, set a new PB at the weekend. :D
    Excellent! Which course/what time?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    SBezza wrote:
    Excellent! Which course/what time?

Q25/12 Brenzett in Kent 55:20, not bad considering my previous was 55:22 on the day you went sub 50 mins in Wales.
  • Jeff Jones
    That is a big improvement - the R25/3 gives you a free minute (even more at slower average spseds) I reckon.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones wrote:
    That is a big improvement - the R25/3 gives you a free minute (even more at slower average spseds) I reckon.

Which event was this? Port Talbot Whrs?

Disappointingly there is only one event left (this weekend) on the 'ski slope' and I have missed this one too.... :(
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones wrote:

Disappointingly there is only one event left (this weekend) on the 'ski slope' and I have missed this one too.... :(
    Aren't there any later in the year? I rode it last August in the Hirwaun wheelers event, but missed the comp record day in September's Port Talbot wheelers.

You need a decent time to get in, but there are a few other good courses in Wales that you can do a time on first (R25/7?)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    Jeff Jones wrote:

Cheers Jeff, lots of hard work over the winter ;). Smashed my Kent course PB by over 2 mins as well. Hopefully have a 52 min on Etwall in July, as I probably won't be going to Wales this year.
  • SBezza
    Jeff Jones wrote:

There is the PTW event on the 12th Sept, which has an overflow event, and the Maesteg CC event on the 14th August, again with an overflow event.
  • SBezza wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:

There is the PTW event on the 12th Sept, which has an overflow event, and the Maesteg CC event on the 14th August, again with an overflow event.
    :oops:

Missed those - assumed for some reason that 3L was on the old Glyneath road, which is nowhere near as fast as the D/C. Suddenly the world's OK again! :D
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    photostream
    What do you reckon I can do?
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Just to help this is Love2ride4552084640_a561bf8ec3.jpg
    Looks a good position to me.

This is Dan Lloyd(Cervelo Test Team)breaking a course record.And he looks the pro,very aero.4545830775_d4561f82c7.jpg
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    I'm after a bit of guidance with my position. Since that picture was taken I have lowered the front by 2 spacers, and extended the bars so that the forearm reach is now correct for me. I have also just bought an adjustable stem, as I think the bike is slightly too large (its a 58, same as my road bike). I have also lost abit more weight so I cen get a bit lower, but there is a lot more to come yet.

Now the stem is 130mm, whereas the current on 110mm. At the moment, I rest my elbows on the pads, and my hand grip the ends of the bars with my fingers overlapping the shifters. This tells me the bars are a tad too short perhaps. However, my elbows are still touching my knees, hence my decision to buy a longer stem to stretch myself a bit further forward. What is the ideal position of the upper arms: vertical, elbows forward of shoulders, or behind? most pics suggest foward, i.e. slightly stretched out position which I guess also opens up the hip angle too.

I'm going to take a couple of photos of current position + stem, and the new one, but it seems to me that my position needs a lot of work as I am not seeing anyhting like as much benefit from the TT bike compared to the majority of other clube members I ride with.
  • Jeff Jones
    love2ride wrote:
    photostream
    What do you reckon I can do?
    It's pretty good but you could raise your bars. You might end up with more power but not lose any aeroness.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • SBezza
    Here are couple from the weekend, position looks better now, and the Kask helmet fits better than the Bell

4595331380_b9d55eef3b_o.jpg

4594715093_5fb7173c25_o.jpg
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Good thread. I shall get someone to photograph me and post it up.

What i've noticed about most people with imperfect positions, seen both in this thread and elsewhere, is that they have the bars set up too high so can't physically get lower.

I find that I adapted very quickly to a low position by slamming the bars right down but I can see how one would get put off by the initial pain of doing so. This sport is all about adapting to pain and so the best way to improve is to start in the position you want to ride in and gradually get better, as opposed to constantly changing position (lowering bars in steps every month or so) and confusing your body.

Do you really get an advantage by sitting really far forward? I find myself shifting backwards as it helps me get lower. I can't imagine the pain you are all going through "downstairs".
  • SBezza
    Lower is not always best, if you can't put out the power in the lower position, you might end up slower, it is a compromise between putting out maximum power and being aero.

I personally can't get any lower at the front, (the frame/stem won't allow it), but my position now is very comfortable, I can get the power out, and it is pretty aero.

You naturally end up on the nose of the saddle, you do shift around a bit still, and it can be a little painful.

The top photo of me above is about 42 miles into a 50 mile TT, so very happy that I am maintaining a good aero position after that distance.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bhima wrote:
    Good thread. I shall get someone to photograph me and post it up.

What i've noticed about most people with imperfect positions, seen both in this thread and elsewhere, is that they have the bars set up too high so can't physically get lower.

I find that I adapted very quickly to a low position by slamming the bars right down but I can see how one would get put off by the initial pain of doing so. This sport is all about adapting to pain and so the best way to improve is to start in the position you want to ride in and gradually get better, as opposed to constantly changing position (lowering bars in steps every month or so) and confusing your body.

Do you really get an advantage by sitting really far forward? I find myself shifting backwards as it helps me get lower. I can't imagine the pain you are all going through "downstairs".

Really... :roll:
    You don't think that slowly stretching muscles and tendons to adapt your target position is more beneficial than just 'slamming' your bars down, etc, and running the risk of tearing something, or getting a long term injury?

You dissappear for ages, then just turn up and spout sh!te, again... FFS!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    It worked for me. I went very hard and did not get injuries. In fact, I don't see how I could have gone harder when I was first adapting to the position.

Of course, stretching is important. I just didn't mention it.

There's a difference between injury pain and training pain. Obviously, if you feel your muscles are being pushed too far then you should stop. I have no argument with that, though to get to that point, you have to be very inflexible and 99% of people will be ok.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Check out the Sky TTT, they all seem to have really excellent positions on the TT bike.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Quite happy with my position now. I just need to find a comfy saddle! The toupe is great on the road bike but its a bit painfull perched on the end of it for an hour or so!

31362_392509224875_514894875_3778413_5865654_n.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think I'm finally getting somewhere with my TT position...

Actually looking forward to Weds now...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    a_n_t wrote:
    Quite happy with my position now. I just need to find a comfy saddle! The toupe is great on the road bike but its a bit painfull perched on the end of it for an hour or so!

I'm just finishing a TT build. I too, like the Toupe, so I've gone for a Specialized Tri Tip saddle, just waiting on JE James to deliver.... :evil:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    a_n_t wrote:

The Selle Italia SLR T1 is a great saddle for TT use as it has a broad padded nose. I do 2h+ rides on mine with no problems.

I use an Arione on the road bike(s), but it is unbearable on the TT bike (unless you like a pointy bit stuck where the sun doesn't shine).
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nmcgann wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

The Selle Italia SLR T1 is a great saddle for TT use as it has a broad padded nose. I do 2h+ rides on mine with no problems.

I use an Arione on the road bike(s), but it is unbearable on the TT bike (unless you like a pointy bit stuck where the sun doesn't shine).

I had terrible trouble trying to get comfortable on my TT bike until I tried that very saddle. Grand stuff!
  • Jeff Jones
    SBezza wrote:
    Here are couple from the weekend, position looks better now, and the Kask helmet fits better than the Bell
    It's obviously working for you Steve - nice going on the sub-21 in the Lea Valley 10!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    a_n_t wrote:

31362_392509224875_514894875_3778413_5865654_n.jpg

You might save a second or two on your times Ant - if you cover up that valve hole on the disc wheel! 8)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Something a little different... TT position on my track bike doing the pursuit. Helmet seems in a bit better position this time. Maybe could go lower still - but hard when cranking out that much power for a short period of time!

TT.jpg