chain tools for single speeds

Derby_Dave
Derby_Dave Posts: 24
edited May 2010 in Road general
Hi all,
I have a single speed Specialized Tricross for commuting and am trying to replace the chain for the first time.
The chain is a 'BMX' / single speed type and does not appear to be compatible with my chain tool as used on conventional deraileur (sp?) set ups.

Can anyone advise if there is a different type of chain tool which I should be using ?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i find the Park CT-3 work well with most but the fattest chains

where the CT-7 would do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've used a normal Cyclo tool in my Tricross though I might be running a 3/32" chain.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    The chain tool on my multitool works just fine with 1/8" and 3/32" chains.

As an aside I find it kind of amusing that you think that a deraileur system is conventional and a single speed isn't.
  • I'm sure the original chain fitted is a KMC Z510 it has a missing link to break the chain
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    I'm sure the original chain fitted is a KMC Z510 it has a missing link to break the chain

That's as maybe, but what if you want to shorten the chain?
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Some chain tools have different little nipple bits that screw onto the end of the pin. You can swap it for a longer one.

Cheaper chain tools have a washer on the other side that stops them screwing in - you can remove the washer.