Innerleithen or Glentress Red Route?

shaw8670
shaw8670 Posts: 264
edited May 2010 in Routes
How does Innerleithen compare with the red route at Glentress?
Greetings from the wet and windy North west

Comments

• Yukon Boy
    Yukon Boy Posts: 70
    Just did both of them on Sat!

Both of them are great XC routes and you won't be disappointed whichever you choose. Both of them are for the most part climbing for the first half then descending for the second (give or take a few minor undulations).

Inners is slightly more technical on the climbs (lots of step-ups) but a sweet, long-ish descent. It only has a car-park so no facilities or bikewash.

Glentress is a less technical climb and the Spooky Wood descent has to be one of the best anywhere. Also you have the options to mix and match with some of the awesome blue descents. Lots of atmos here around the excellent hub cafe and there is a bikewash!

For me Glentress is marginally better but why not have an early start, hit the glentress red, back to the hub cafe for lunch then blast around inners red for the afternoon. Makes for a perfect day and you'll sleep that night!
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    I've only done the Innerleithen route once compared to the numerous trips to Glentress but from what I can remember...

The Innerleithen route is less "groomed" and has less man made features than GT.
    It's A LOT quieter (well it was when we were there).
    It's more exposed at the top (Minch Moor).
    I found the upwards portion of Innerleithen more difficult.

I'll let you decide whether or not these are good or bad things...

There's no real reason we go to GT more often than "Inners"...
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)