Polka Dot Challenge - "Spud" Riley Memorial Gran F

shy tot
shy tot Posts: 111
2010 event will be on 6th June. Entries open on 12 DECEMBER 2009. 630 entries maximum. Entry Form will be on www.polkadotchallenge.co.uk from 12 Dec. onwards--First come first served
Shy Tot

Comments

• shy tot,

Well I for one will be entering & hoping for better weather than last year - hail in June was was a shock to the system at 60 miles!!

Is the route going to be the same or will it go further into Derbyshire?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    shy tot,

Well I for one will be entering & hoping for better weather than last year - hail in June was was a shock to the system at 60 miles!!

Is the route going to be the same or will it go further into Derbyshire?

+1 for better weather, evil last time, still a good hard day out though. Will be entering for sure.
  • shy tot
    Same route as last year. We guarantee better weather - well it could hardly be worse!!!!!
  • shy,

ok....but the part of the route that went thorugh the farm was a bit "unusual"....traction through wet cow dung was never going to be good :shock: ...those cattle grid were a nightmare & i lost a bottle going over one of them!!
  • shy tot
    The list of entries as at 20th January is now on our website:
    www.polkadotchallenge.co.uk
    plenty of places left.
  • shy tot
    The latest list of riders, as at 19th February is now on our website:
    Still plenty of places available.
  • shy tot
    The latest list of riders (as at 13th April) will be on our website:
    in the next couple of days.
    There are still places available.
    There is now a memorial at Christies in the shape of a tree. A gold coloured leaf is attached to this tree in memory of a patient whose family/friends have made contributions to the hospital. Thanks to people who have taken part in the Polka Dot/”Spud” rides, their efforts in raising £62,000 since the event began, have put a leaf remembering George “Spud” Riley on the tree. Go to our website, then click on “background” and go to the bottom of the page to see photos of the tree and George’s leaf.
    Shy tot
  • shy tot
    The latest list of riders (entries received up to Saturday, 15th May) is now on our website:
    ww.polkadotchallenge.co.uk
    There are still places available.
    Shy Tot
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    phew! sent off my application this morning!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Shy tot,

have you seen this thread re the Goyt Valley's Errwood -> Derbyshire Bridge section being closed?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... t=12701922
  • shy tot
    We were only told yesterday by the Highways Agency about the closure.

"ROUTE CHANGE"(for 2010 only)
    Due to the GOYT VALLEY road being closed until the end of August, because of shoring work, we have had to divert the ride as follows:
    After the top of the 2nd climb (OLD BRICKWORKS) turn R at junction
    with B5470 & drop down to RAINOW, through village & take L at
    BROOKHOUSE & up KERRIDGE END climb (1/2ml) to Junction with A537 turn L onto CAT & FIDDLE climb to complete the last 4mls to the Pub. After
    1mile turn R & R again onto A54 to re-join original route.
    Sorry for this deviation but its out of our hands.

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Oh well.

Bummer to lose Windgather, and Goyt is just beautiful (unless there's a headwind...)

You could take people up through Lamaload (which would be a shock to some systems...), but I guess you really wouldn't want any late starters coming face-to-face with any fastboys coming back early on that really steep bit...
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    well its only a week away, really looking forward to this,albeit training not gone quite to plan so after 75 miles will be into the unknown! weather forecast is improving for weekend so hopefully will be nice, not too hot and not windy! see you all there and good riding!
  • berrya
    berrya Posts: 23
    Im very exited about this!

Did my first fla 100 at the weeknd and went very well, bring on the hills, how hard can it be?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    good luck tomorrow everyone!
    Forecast showing a fair bit of rain. Let's hope it's not quite as bad as last year.
    I'm wondering gilet or full waterproof jacket.
  • Ugh. That was wet and 'orrible. I was totally inappropriately dressed for that and my feet were soaked. Chickened out and did the short route - I was the first one back! Great signing and well organised. A bargain for 20 quid I thought.
  • berrya
    berrya Posts: 23
    You totally missed out, the weather improved massivley, and by about 10am it had dried out. Even had to shed some layers by 11!

Managed to get roun the 102miles in 6hrs and 40mins, but feel in alot of pain now!
  • Photos of the Polkadot on deadmans hill at http://www.sportsunday.co.uk
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    Sportsunday,

Do you make a habit of poaching other peoples work?

I have been covering this event for the organiser (Dave) for some years now as the official photographer. I'm a bit miffed that you see fit to poach.

Anyway folks images are now all up at:

Flash: http://www.derekbphotography.co.uk/portfolio100663.html

Dead Man's Hill: http://www.derekbphotography.co.uk/portfolio100665.html

Derek
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    Looked at both and I look bet is yours Derek.

Don't get me wrong...I look pretty good in the others, its just your's capture my awesome quadpower ;-)