Deore rear mech - when is it past it's use by date?

Quirrel
Quirrel Posts: 235
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I hold my hands up and say that bike maitenance like car maintenance is not my forte - chemical reactions are.

My Deore rear mech, which is pretty old, ~2004/5 is pretty nasty looking, but it still works, for the most part. The biggest problem appears to be the gears aren't set up as well as they used to be, the freewheel is knackered and it's just really working, but over all it still seems to still be working.

Question is, do I change it for a newer one on my bike that I'm building or salvage that and the deore shifters I have.

Next question is - my deore shifters work, is there any reason to change them for more, other than upgrade factor?

last question - how much should a bike shop charge for fitting my headset and what the hell is a star nut?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Only change it if its broken or you want to upgrade.

Star nut acts as a preloader for the headset and they should charge around 10-20 quid
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I have an LX rear mech from 1996 on my commuter and it works fine. Don't replace it for the sake of it.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as their is no play in the pivots, it probably just wants the jockey wheels removing and cleaning up, and cleaning out their bearings and applying a little (very little) fresh grease when you build them back up.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think a lot of people look to upgrade their rear mech in the hope that it will fix basic maintenance issues..

IMO you'll get better results striping, cleaning and lubing the cables, changing the worn jocky and guide wheels if needed and learn how to set it up properly.

I run a deore rear mech and an slx front mech with cheapy SRAM attack shifters and my shifting is crisp and smooth.

I keep my cables and outers clean and lubed and I keep on top of the adjustment and tuning.