My two Boardmans, Pro Carbon Race Prep and Team Carbon

jonmack
jonmack Posts: 522
edited June 2010 in Your road bikes
Snapped these quickly a few weeks ago, sorry they're not OCP material but my friends wanted some shots! I've only been into road cycling about a year but in that time I've dropped a few grand on bikes/kit. Anyway less talk more photos.

tumblr_l1ds92d6YI1qzzmgu.jpg
tumblr_l1dsesu4t21qzzmgu.jpg
tumblr_l1dsiueH671qzzmgu.jpg

On the left it's a common Boardman Team Carbon, only differences are the tyres and the saddle.

On the right it's a bit less common Boardman Pro Carbon Race Prepared again I changed the saddle but apart from that it's bog standard, however this is my baby and I love it to bits.

Thanks for checking them out, if you want bigger photos then just ask :)

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    maybe it's the angle of the pics, but are the frames different sizes..??

What's the thinking behind having two near-identical bikes..?
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    Identical?

The pro uses T800 carbon fibre not T700 like the team
    The pro has absolutley killer wheels, the Team... we all know the horror stories.
    The Pro has sram red, not rival. Leagues and bounds a better bike. Plus you always need one you can get mucky. :P and one for those special sunny days. No?
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Identical?

The pro has absolutley killer wheels, the Team... we all know the horror stories.
    The Pro has sram red, not rival. Leagues and bounds a better bike. Plus you always need one you can get mucky. :P and one for those special sunny days. No?

still pretty much identical in my view....
  • sparan
    sparan Posts: 39
    very nice bikes, i've been considering the boardman team carbon for a while but can't decide between it or a planet-x, also one grand. i have heard the horror stories about the wheels and so am planning on buying some nice planet-x ones too. is the boardman good? any other bad bits? i'm a weekend warrior so am not looking to spend a fortune...
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    softlad wrote:
    Identical?

I can appreciate why, I tend too look too closely at things anyway!
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    softlad wrote:
    Identical?

I can appreciate why, I tend too look too closely at things anyway!

i agree!
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I guess having two bikes so similar would help with training, i.e a winter bike with the same geometry as the summer bike.
  • jonmack
    softlad wrote:
    maybe it's the angle of the pics, but are the frames different sizes..??

What's the thinking behind having two near-identical bikes..?

They are the same size! Both Large :) They are nearly identical but as mattbass says, there are subtle differences (carbon, groupset, wheels, components) actually the only thing that's the same across both bikes is the geo.
    Identical?

The RP is my summer/race bike (although I'm not racing yet), I'm gonna get some crud catchers for the Team and set it up as a proper training/winter bike.
    sparan wrote:
    very nice bikes, i've been considering the boardman team carbon for a while but can't decide between it or a planet-x, also one grand. i have heard the horror stories about the wheels and so am planning on buying some nice planet-x ones too. is the boardman good? any other bad bits? i'm a weekend warrior so am not looking to spend a fortune...

I've had nothing but good experiences with mine, I bought it from a decent Halfords who knew about the wheel issue and made sure it was all up to scratch, I commuted on it for months and never had any problems with it, I'd say it was definitely the way to go, although the PX's are lovely looking bikes, can't comment on the way they ride!
    I guess having two bikes so similar would help with training, i.e a winter bike with the same geometry as the summer bike.

Bingo!

Thanks for the comments guys, not bad for a 22 year old still living with my parents hey ;)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    sparan wrote:
    In between the Team and the RP two spec-wise (and much closer to the team price-wise) is the Pro Carbon. £1,600 - T800 c/f, SRAM Force, BB30 bottom bracket. I would only need to change the wheels and saddle so say £2k or a touch more and you've got a very well specced, fast bike.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    jonmack wrote:
    Thanks for the comments guys, not bad for a 22 year old still living with my parents hey ;)

Is because you live with your parents that you can afford 'em.
    Screw it, i'm moving back home, food's better aswell!
    Very nice bikes btw :)
  • jonmack
    rjh299 wrote:
    jonmack wrote:

Is because you live with your parents that you can afford 'em.
    Screw it, i'm moving back home, food's better aswell!
    Very nice bikes btw :)

That's true, having a half decent job helps too though!
  • andy brox
    andy brox Posts: 9
    hi jon,

going to buy the pro carbon online,not sure to go for large or extra large.im 6foot 1 inch,need 34 inch(jeans)leg,quite long arms etc.can u tell me how tall u are etc to give me a better idea.cheers andy.
    STUMPY EXPERT 2006
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nice bikes Jon.

Andy, if I were you I'd go and sit on one at your local Halfords to see which YOU are comfortable on.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/