NCN on OS maps?

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited May 2010 in Routes
Hi guys

Does anyone own a upto date OS explorer map? I have an older one printed in 2002. Just wondered if the new ones show the National Cycle Network?

Cheers guys

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not much help when in the middle of nowhere away from the PC but BikerouteToaster shows the NCNs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jaybo1973
    Nice site. Seen others like it, but this one does look good. Just need to fathom how to print from it :) Would still like a new OS if they show the NCN though
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,155
    Pink Landranger maps show them as green dots (don't confuse with the green dots on the Explorer maps which mean something else ;)) They should have a number next to them indicating the route number. Pink seem to be the 'national' routes and blue seem to be 'local' routes.

See here for an example: http://www.multimap.com/s/Ne6QlMCx
    Green dashes on Landranger maps mean a "surfaced" cycle route. However on the example above which has green dashes, it's actually quite muddy so it's a loose definition.

I think there are new things on the way though. If you look at websites using OS Openspace maps (e.g. http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.77096569595261&lon=-1.2502453294654339&gz=15&oz=8&gt=1) There are now 2 kinds of green dot. From what I can tell, the solid green dot is an on road cycle route whereas the open dots are 'traffic free' routes which seem to include pavements you can cycle on as well as tracks.

It will take a few years for this new level of information to filter down onto paper maps as they only get updated every few years.
  • jaybo1973
    Pink Landranger maps show them as green dots (don't confuse with the green dots on the Explorer maps which mean something else ;)) They should have a number next to them indicating the route number. Pink seem to be the 'national' routes and blue seem to be 'local' routes.

See here for an example: http://www.multimap.com/s/Ne6QlMCx
    Green dashes on Landranger maps mean a "surfaced" cycle route. However on the example above which has green dashes, it's actually quite muddy so it's a loose definition.

I think there are new things on the way though. If you look at websites using OS Openspace maps (e.g. http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.77096569595261&lon=-1.2502453294654339&gz=15&oz=8&gt=1) There are now 2 kinds of green dot. From what I can tell, the solid green dot is an on road cycle route whereas the open dots are 'traffic free' routes which seem to include pavements you can cycle on as well as tracks.

It will take a few years for this new level of information to filter down onto paper maps as they only get updated every few years.

Hi thanks for the info, I guess it will take a while to filter down. Not sure about those open green dots. They are solid for the off road routes for my area (unless the map is not finished yet) http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.h ... &oz=8&gt=1
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    I have a good collection of recent Explorer OS maps. Two and a half inches to the mile. I do a lot of exploring so I need this extra level of detail to avoid getting the compass out :roll:

Any of these dated after 2004 show the NCN route numbers in white on a red square (on road) or red in a red-outlined white square (traffic free). Green dots denote 'other routes with public access' (i.e. not coming under any other category). Orange dots mean 'traffic free cycle route'. There aren't any open green dots on the Explorer maps.

Green dashes denote a bridleway - which is generally unsurfaced. Cyclists have a right of way on bridleways (and byways - designated by green dashes with castellations or crosses along it).

In my experience, any of the NCN routes and anything with orange or green dots is far too tame for MTBs and at weekends will be littered with slow moving family groups and dogs! Best avoided unless it's to link some proper biking routes :lol:

If you plan routes with a high percentage of bridleways and byways you shouldn't go far wrong.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • jaybo1973
    I have a good collection of recent Explorer OS maps. Two and a half inches to the mile. I do a lot of exploring so I need this extra level of detail to avoid getting the compass out :roll:

Any of these dated after 2004 show the NCN route numbers in white on a red square (on road) or red in a red-outlined white square (traffic free). Green dots denote 'other routes with public access' (i.e. not coming under any other category). Orange dots mean 'traffic free cycle route'. There aren't any open green dots on the Explorer maps.

Green dashes denote a bridleway - which is generally unsurfaced. Cyclists have a right of way on bridleways (and byways - designated by green dashes with castellations or crosses along it).

In my experience, any of the NCN routes and anything with orange or green dots is far too tame for MTBs and at weekends will be littered with slow moving family groups and dogs! Best avoided unless it's to link some proper biking routes :lol:

If you plan routes with a high percentage of bridleways and byways you shouldn't go far wrong.

Hi. Thanks for the info. I may update my 2002 explore then. I was actually the thing I hate this morning. I was out with the misus, twin pushchair and my dog on the NCN :( I usually call people for it when I am cycling :oops: