Following on from headangles: Stem size ..

the phantom pieman
the phantom pieman Posts: 165
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Current vogue is towards smaller and smaller stems ...
Having come through the years of 150mm plus being std ( I was always a 135 man), is it fashion , or does it make much difference?
I find it makes the cockpit cramped and over twitchy. TBH when the red mist is down, I never missed an apex due to perceived slow steering ....

Help me here !
Cotic Soul
Cotic BFe
Cotic Road Rat
Orange Patriot (2006 version)

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Bit of fashion, bit of compensation for wider bars.

Riding/bike style will make a difference too.
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    I like having a slightly larger than normal frame but a shorter stem to aid my reach, allows a more 'sporty' position in my case and allows my weight to transfer onto the bikes axle, rather than beyond it which a longer stem may do.
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Current vogue is towards smaller and smaller stems ...
    Having come through the years of 150mm plus being std ( I was always a 135 man), is it fashion , or does it make much difference?
    I find it makes the cockpit cramped and over twitchy. TBH when the red mist is down, I never missed an apex due to perceived slow steering ....

Help me here !
    There a good explanation of the effect of stem length in this thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12699655&highlight=stem
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • so the fashion for short steam has lead to ultra wide bars to slow down steering .... weird, man!!

I would have thought that a longer stem but a lit more weight forwards , making grip in the fronty better, whilst helping any climbing that you will have to do!!

All that wide bars do is snag on undergrowth and make up for lack of leverage ,,,, :?
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    Wide bars assist in balance - which when going over tricky terrain can be a god send.
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Old school xc racing wanted a low tuck so a long stem and narrow bars worked, new school freeride boys want a more up right position to getweight back to huck stuff - freeride is perceived to be cooler so bikes have navigated that way rather than the xc route.

Personally I have ridden my bike with flat bars and a 100mm stem and with wide bars and a 75mm stem and I prefer the latter, more maneuverable, more chuckable and more stable plus my back hurts less on a long ride.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.