Short routes in the Lake District

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited May 2010 in Routes
Hi, just lately been getting my step lad into MTBing and he's taking to it like a duck to water, I've got some routes that he's been doing with me but he's getting a bit bored now and wants some more to do to offer a bit of variety.
He's only 9 though so don't want to overface him with some of the tougher rougher stuff, so basically I'm after some routes in the lakes (southern preferably) that are around 10 miles that won't put him off.
We currently spend a lot of time riding round Blawith Common and up around Cartmel Fell, so alternatives to those would be appreciated thanks

:)

Comments

• P1LTS
    P1LTS Posts: 82
    If he can manage Blawith, then he he should cope with the North Face Trail at Grizedale.
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • OwenB
    To be honest he flies round Blawith, just not sure about the NFT as I don't want him falling off the woodwork and hurting himself, but it would be good if he can manage it.
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Kentmere @ Staveley? bit of a climb(road) at the start but then flat and an ace downhill back to Staveley. Wheelbase have small printed route maps for a couple of ££s

took a group of our kids mtb club round Whinlatter South and Blue route a couple of weeks back inc 2 x 9(8)yr olds. Loved it :lol:

NFT...he can get off and walk over the boardwalk stuff.
    My moto is "if in doubt..bail out"
    Junior should not be embarrassed to put his safety first :)
    The Parkamoor option might be what you have in mind?
  • OwenB
    Thanks for that, I get concerned as I've never seen any "kids" on the NFT, I'll take him up next week and see how he gets on, he's pretty confident really so am sure he'll be fine.
    Will take him up to Whinlatter once I get the chance, he's with his dad on weekends so only get to take him out for a couple of hours in the week.
    As for Parkamoor I reckon he'd be fine though as he's only been on about 6 or 7 proper rides I think it might be a little long to add in just yet but will do eventually :)
  • KDX
    KDX Posts: 13
    I've never done NFT so can't comment on that but i'd have thought that the byways and bridleways between Coniston and Ambleside sort of around Skelwith Bridge area would be worth a try.

Not exactly hard going but not exactly easy either. Low level routes that are rocky and fun mostly but still some stiff climbs and fast descents and lots to go at. Not a lot of single track I suppose (although whipping down loughrigg terrace is fun if there aren't too many tramplers around) but that would be my suggestion.

Navigations easier than some places in the Lakes too. See the area here,

http://www.bdcc.co.uk/XMarksTheSpot.htm?g=NY3446503520&t=NY3446503520

Anyhow, just a suggestion (allwways hard to know what others will think of a route) but hope it helps.

Cheers

Rich
  • KDX
    KDX Posts: 13
    Oops! map link didn't work sorry!
  • OwenB
    Took him up to do the North Face on Friday, he flew round it and enjoyed the trail sections but was a bit bored on the fire trails. Will plot some trails round ambleside area and am going to take him up Claife Heights next.
    Cheers for the tips :)