Building my bike

shieldsy94
shieldsy94 Posts: 342
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, im building up a bike for the first time, i do 4x and downhill a tiny bit and would like to build my bike to match what i do, my problem is gearing as im not sure whether to have a road cassette and derailler or just good mtb parts (x9 etc), i have a 34 tooth chainring already from a previous bike and would like to know what gearing would be best.
Cheers Shieldsy

Comments

• shieldsy94
    By the way im building my bike to be light and strong!
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    For DH/4X i'd go for a close range ratio road cassette. 12-23, 12-25, 12-27 etc. And then 34-38t front ring.

And if you're running single ring upfront, get a short cage mech indeally. Saint IMO
  • shieldsy94
    Cheers mate, i didnt have a clue on what to do cause i didnt think i would need a large gear ratio on back. What chain would you get as i seen dura-ace at £20 whats the difference
  • i'm not sure road cassettes work with all mechs... you'll have to check.

I knw that the saint mech can be adapted to run a close range road cassette.
  • mrfmilo
    IIRC all mechs do, you just need to adjust the B screw..?

And all you need watch out for is getting the right speed chain, so obviously 9spd for 9spd setup and so on. Here is a good one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9873
  • shieldsy94
    Thanks. Im gonna get a road cassette, saint rear short cage but im undecided on chains. That one is good but is there any difference in road and mtb chains as i cant see any.
  • mrfmilo
    Not sure, just go for a MTB one, no reason not to :wink: :P
  • smegurmum
    smegurmum Posts: 181
    no difference between road and mtb chain - just watch out for the top end ones (specifically dura-ace, as if i recall they have to be fitted the right way round - certain plate facing outwards)

IMO Sram chains are the best
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • shieldsy94
    Ok, thanks