5 Speed Cassette

Alienman
Alienman Posts: 91
edited May 2010 in MTB general
So I am cleaning up an old bike, its probably around the same age as I am, and it still has its original 5 speed cassette on it. The teeth are pretty blunt, or square, so that definitely needs to be replaced. So far I haven't been able to find one online, do you guys know if companies still make 5 speed cassettes?
'09 Rocky Mountain Fusion

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most likely to be a freewheel not a cassette.

have a read

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Alienman
    Either way, are there companies that make either of them in 5 speed? I've checked a bunch of online stores and they haven't had anything smaller than 7.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes 5 speed freewheels are available.

but most likely LBS time, we have a few in boxes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Alienman
    After a little harder looking and more specific googles searches I found a site that has both a freewheel and a cassette. But first I need to figure out which one it is on the bike and than check the LBS.

Asked my mom how old the bike is, apparently I am only a year older than it, so about 18 years with out any parts being replaced.
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    look on somew old scrap kids bikes they normally have 5 speeds