stiff, VERY stiff leg

woodnut
woodnut Posts: 562
Don't know how I did this really. In the middle of a 15 mile ride "in the peaks" my legs locked up but (unwisely) I decided to ride through it. I haven't been able to get out on my bike for two weeks now and the pain/stiffness/cramps in my thighs seems to be getting worse. My GP says it's a "common cycling injury" and has given me anti-inflammatorys. But today I can barely walk, stairs are a real problem.... The pain is all across the front and outside of my thigh (but not at the back) and it seems to cramp up in different places at different times. Any advice or experiences of the same thing, please? :(

Comments

• Its likely that you've pulled/slightly torn something.

If you get cramp/stiffness during a ride you really need to get off and stretch to prevent strains/muscle tearing.

if you've slightly torn something or pulled something quite bad, it can take a while to mend.

Try a bit of ice to keep the swelling down (wrap some peas in a towel, don't hold them directly on your leg... go for 2 mins on and 5 mins off... and don't let your skin freeze!).

just give it time :)
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    ahh the thigh muscle agony. When I got back into MTB'ing I had this and it took me about ten minutes to slowly get upstairs. I walked like robbie the robot and just couldn't get comfy.

I found hot baths helped and about 2 weeks although the kids found it highly amusing. Got to the point I couldn't bend my knees as it slightly pulled on the muscle on the front of my thigh.

You'll be alright fella don't worry, take the ibuprofen or whatever and remember pain is there for a reason, don't ride through it!.

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • woodnut
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    If you get cramp/stiffness during a ride you really need to get off and stretch to prevent strains/muscle tearing.
    :D A little voice was telling me that, another one told me to MTFU and press on... I promise I won't make that mistake again. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try a freezer block in a teatowel right now as I need some relief ...
  • RockingDad
    Hot baths are possibly the worst thing for strains and muscle tears. You want to get the heat out + swelling down!

i got told off by my physio for having a bath when I pulled my gastrocnemius.
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    RockingDad
    Hot baths are possibly the worst thing for strains and muscle tears. You want to get the heat out + swelling down!

i got told off by my physio for having a bath when I pulled my gastrocnemius.

Probably right but it eased my plight.
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • woodnut
    Thanks both for the advice / encouragement. Last few days have been much better. I went out this evening and rode uphill for about 3 mile, felt a bit of a twinge so coasted back down....fine now. I'll give it a coupla days and try a bit further...so hard to be patient, I'm desperate to get back to my commute even, hate driving in this weather! Thanks again.