Best ride in the UK?

Corporate Ascents
Corporate Ascents Posts: 56
edited May 2010 in Routes
Where is the UKs best mountain biking location?

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Many will say Scotland, then I expect the Lake District - but seeing as I have been to neither yet - it is the Peak District for me :D
  • Where in particular?
  • Teflon Dave
    Teflon Dave Posts: 29
    Depends on what sort of riding you are after?? you cant beat local knowledge. i think most places have some excellent trails which are only known to the local indiginous species of mountain biker.
    Ride bike, eat cake, drink tea, ride bike, eat cake, dri...........
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    South Wales and 'Southern' Scotland - everything is easy to find, has good facilities and there are always people around willing to help you out.

By 'Southern' I mean below Edinburgh.

Saying this though, I believe a 'Best Ride' is down to personal preference - Mine would be Glentress.

albo.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Innerleithen red route is definitely the best "all round" route I've ridden yet. Glentress is also excellent, but I think Inners beats it.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    One of my ex-girlfriends.

She was a 19yr old Gymnast. KIDS; Don't try this at home!

Nuff said.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Depends on what sort of riding you are after?? you cant beat local knowledge. i think most places have some excellent trails which are only known to the local indiginous species of mountain biker.

Which is why I'll say Dartmoor....followed by the Quantocks.

I prefer the natural riding offered by..well nature, as opposed to some purpose built trail centre.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • hoochylala
    I prefer the natural riding offered by..well nature, as opposed to some purpose built trail centre.

This is exactly it for me and it is why I said the Peak District, I like the remote feeling, well more remote than a trail centre provides at least. Particular rides in the Peak - pick any, they are all pretty good imo :) maybe, just maybe, cut gate though
  • looneylunn
    looneylunn Posts: 47
    Hoochylala

Hit the nail on the head. Cutgate is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It has everything. Just don't tell everyone.
  • KDX
    KDX Posts: 13
    Well I've already cast my vote on this! See below.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12699162

Gotta be the Lakes for my money although to be fair I do like the Peaks as well and I don't really know any of Scotland so can't comment on that option.

Cheers

Richard
  • superhoshi
    superhoshi Posts: 6
    i've not tried biking in scotland yet, but so far i reckon lake district is probably best closely followed by some of the stuff in snowdonia. just returned from a 3 dayer in the lakes and was VERY impressed by the lonscale fell loop from keswick around skiddaw house and the walna scar/dunnerdale/seathwaite loop.
    i find the peak district a bit samey after a while and scenery-wise it doesn't impress me much. but then i did grow up in the austrian alps and ride there every year.

while the man-made trail center stuff in the UK is really good fun to ride for a day or so, you can't beat the adventure and sense of discovery you get on a natural ride IMO. :D
  • spodomodo
    spodomodo Posts: 48
    Yorkshire Dales - especially the Southern area around Settle/Skipton - Mastiles Lane, Malham Tarn, Peh y ghent, Ingleborough - fantastic!
  • There's no answer to this question.

Depends what your riding, what the weather is like, what mood you're in, how long you've got spare etc etc.

I've ridden most of the areas already mentioned and agree that they are all fantastic, but the other day I left my front door, and did a 12 mile route that was 90% singletrack, and didn't double up on more than about 1/4mile and I was never more than 3 miles from home! It had rocky climbs and descents, moorland singletrack, woodland singletrack, fantastic views and glorious sunshine.

At the time, that was the best ride I'd ever done.
  • hoochylala
    I've ridden most of the areas already mentioned and agree that they are all fantastic, but the other day I left my front door, and did a 12 mile route that was 90% singletrack, and didn't double up on more than about 1/4mile and I was never more than 3 miles from home! It had rocky climbs and descents, moorland singletrack, woodland singletrack, fantastic views and glorious sunshine.

Ahh, what i would give to not live in the city centre. Inspired by the recent Singletrack magazine article on local urban riding I am going to go do some dead end chasing around the city and down by the canal to see what gems I can find. If any. :roll: