Drive train wear?

Flenser
Flenser Posts: 372
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had some trouble the last couple of rides with my chain slipping under pressure, usually when going up hill in a low gear.

Took the bike into the local bike shop for a service today and was immediately told that my entire drive train was worn and would require replacement. The chap pointed out the teeth on both the rear cassette and the outer two front rings showing the "shark tooth" wear.

The bike is only a year old and the drive train components are Shimano Deore - is this usual?

I was under the impression that the components would last a damn sight longer than a single year of moderate riding.
Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Depends, conditions, cleaning etc....
    Last year I had 4 chains and 4 cassettes... Buy a chain length/ stretch measuring tool, and replace the chain more often, this will allow a longer life for the cassette and chainrings.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Flenser
    Cheers R2K, I'll bear that in mind.

I can't afford to shell out this much on a regular basis! :lol::cry:
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Woops, just noticed I put 4 cassettes... should read 2!!!!
    Cheap chains provided they are semi decent makes Shimano, Sram KMC... are just as good as the expensive ones. Just a little heavier...
    Both chain and cassettes can be bought fairly cheaply, look for deals on CRC, Wiggle, Evans etc...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Flenser
    Nice one. 8)