Surosa winter (summer) trainer...

softlad
softlad Posts: 3,513
edited May 2010 in Your road bikes
Just built this in anticipation of another glorious British summer.. ;)

Only ridden it a couple of times so far, but the ride, response and handling are all outstanding. Realistically, it's my new winter trainer - although I'm sure it will get plenty of outings over the coming summer months. Most of the kit is old Ultegra from around 2003 that has just been lying in a box for the last couple of years - I'd forgotten how good it was. V. happy with how it turned out and the matt black finish with white graphics looks really nice. Frame/fork is an absolute bargain and well worth a look if you are in the market for a fast, sharp handling road frame with clearance for full guards...

Surosa.jpg

Frame: Surosa Toledo 7005 aluminium
Forks: Alpina carbon
Bars: FSA Omega compact
Stem: FSA OS190
Headset: Alpina
Bar Tape: FSA gel

Levers: Ultegra 9sp
Calipers: Tektro 356
Front Mech: Ultegra
Rear Mech: Ultegra

Seat: Charge Knife
Seat Post: Alpina carbon

Cranks: FSA Gossamer 50/34
Chain: KMC X9
Cassette: Ultegra 12-25
Pedals: Time Xen
Bottom Bracket: FSA mega exo

Wheels: old Mavic Open SUP on Ultegra 32h hubs
Tyres: Conti GP 24mm

Accessories: full SKS guards, Cateye Micro and a tatty old Specialized seat pack

Comments

• Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Nice! I had the blue one up until last weekend, I had used it throughout a winter. I sold it as it was sitting on my turbo,superseded by a titanium training bike.
    In all honesty though the Surosa was a fantastic package which built up into a pretty light and responsive winter/audax/training bike.

Yours looks very tidy indeed. Black muddies would be nice on it. 8)
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

I think you're right about the guards - I might try some of those black crud jobbies later on. The only other thing to say is that the full SKS guards do make the clearances very tight. I did originally fit a set of 25mm Rubino pros, but I simply could not stop the rubbing, no matter how much fettling. 24mm is probably the biggest you will get on with full length guards, so maybe the crud guards might give a bit more clearance for 25s once the winter comes...