Beginners at Afan?

matt748
matt748 Posts: 194
edited May 2010 in Routes
I'm planning a trip next month to Afan with some workmates.
Two ladies in the group haven't ridden a trail centre before.
With Penhydd closed, we plan to do The Wall and Whites level over 2 days.
Do you think this is asking too much of them? And no, I'm not being sexist, just practical as the rest of the group have ridden Afan (although not Whites). Has anyone out there ridden these Afan routes as a relative beginner?

Matt

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
My Pics

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Depends really, whites climb can be a bit of a shock if they're not ready for it as can the table tops on the Energy section and some of the drop offs on the final ascent. I think it would depend on their overall fitness really, people can deal with more pyschologically if they're fitter. Nothing more depressing than pushing to the top only to find you can't ride much of the down either.

I think I'd rather take newbies to Llandegla first to be honest.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Penhydd would have been the ideal first choice, alas not. I rode Cwmcarn as a beginner and didn't really enjoy it. It felt like we climbed to the top, and then climbed back to the car again... But having ridden it a few times since, i can safely say fitness makes all the difference.

I can't speak of the Wall, but i think White's shouldn't be too bad. Like Stumpyjon said, the tabletops on Energy may be a bit intimidating, but everything else is either quite steady or has a chicken run.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Wall is fine and whites,

Taken noobs up on them before.

I would say the wall first its the easier trail as a starter (but the better for a fit good rider as the speed you can get is awsome) then follow with whites ( a very over constructed trail at points)
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    Thanks for your posts.
    4 weeks to go, can't wait.
    We'll do The Wall day one, Whites day two. :D

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I took 5 relative newbies up Whites... we almost had to have 1 of them air lifted off as he collapsed.
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    First ride I ever did at a centre was Whites, didn't know the Grading just chose the shortest one I was slow and pushed a couple of times buy hey loved it and keep going back Still Slow but don't push anymore!
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels