Replacement for rear AlexRim on Rockhopper

Criller
Criller Posts: 57
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

After suffering two broken spokes on my rear wheel I'm looking to replace it. However, I don't really want to go to the expense of replacing any of the other 'bits' (cassette, hub etc) associated with the wheel. Is this going to be possible?

I know I could probably buy the same type of AlexRim, although looking on the web I doubt this. So if I go for a different make will I also have to replace the hub, cassette etc?

Does anybody have any recommendations as to which rim to go for? The bike is used mainly for commute and some off road. Don't want to go too mad with regards to cost.

Thanks

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Define 'mad'? Unless you get a rim with the same dimensions as the alex you are going to have to replace the spokes as well (personally would do it anyway as it's a spesh built wheel :wink: ) so that's about £50 for spokes/rim (depending on what you go for) then labour charge on top of that...£20+. Cheaper buying a new wheel.
  • Criller
    Perhaps I used the incorrect terminology. I meant to say I want to replace the wheel with a new wheel , not just a rim.

So if I buy a new wheel will I also have to look at buying hub, cassette and disc for brakes or can i use the existing ones?

I thought I would ask here before I pop down to Evans as I'm sure they will want to sell me the world and his wife!
  • For a "cheap" ish option, mavic crossrides are great - in my experience they were bombproof out of the box and I managed to get a set for £130 but that was about 3 years back, other than that you could go a little more upmarket and get a Hope Hoop.

If you go into your local bike shop, you can probably get them to lace you up a new wheel relatively cheap, get something like a shimano deore hub with a mavic 317 rim and some spokes, shouldn't cost you more than £60 notes??
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Your original cassette and disc will fit your new wheel assuming that you stay with 6 bolt disc fixing for the replacement hub. There is loads of choice but you need to decide if you want super light, super strong or something in between. Hubs with sealed cartridge bearings eg Hope Pro 2 are more durable and require less maintenance than those with loose bearings eg Shimano XT. Rims come in various different weights, strengths and widths so check manufacturers web sites for suitable types for your intended use. A built up wheel is far easier as you can just put your bits on and ride.
    My personal choice for a good all round wheel is a Hope Pro 2 hub with a Mavic XM719 rim or, if you want a cheaper option, an XT hub with the same rim. HTH
  • stu8975
    Criller wrote:
    Perhaps I used the incorrect terminology. I meant to say I want to replace the wheel with a new wheel , not just a rim.

So if I buy a new wheel will I also have to look at buying hub, cassette and disc for brakes or can i use the existing ones?

I thought I would ask here before I pop down to Evans as I'm sure they will want to sell me the world and his wife!

Wheel consists of rim/spokes/hub...just transfer the cassette and disc rotor on to new wheel...you won't get too good a deal at Evans compared to what you will get online...from the likes of MerlinCycles or CRC..and Evans don't carry too much stock to be honest..will most like need to be ordered in anyway. You'll be looking around £90 for say a Mavic Crossride rear wheel..can get a pair for £125 from merlin.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Hope hubs are very nice but probably double the price of an XT.

I have both, I love the sound and quality of the hope, but for £70 at CRC i got an XT 6 bolt hub and an EN521 rim, which is still running lovely now. Cant fault it.

Just be careful of disk fitment, shimano do centre lock and 6 bolt so make sure you get the correct one.
  • Criller
    Thanks for all your advice. Didn't realise that was that much to think about when replacing a wheel.

On my existing rims there is information with regards to the wheel. I know what some of these mean but not too sure on a couple. Just want to check that these are relevent.

Alex Rim = Manufacturer
    Double Wall = stronger rim type, outer and inner wall
    559x17 = 559 I think is rim diameter but what is 17?? I've seen a new wheel which has 559x19c. So do I need to replace my wheel with another 559x17??
    6061-T6 = Think it's to do with the aluminum?
  • stu8975
    17 is the internal rim width in mm.
  • Matt 24k
    You shouldn't have any issues going from a 17 mm width to a 19mm width rim. Mavic rims generally have their width in the model name ie and XM317 is 17mm and an XM719 is 19mm.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Matt 24k wrote:
    You shouldn't have any issues going from a 17 mm width to a 19mm width rim. Mavic rims generally have their width in the model name ie and XM317 is 17mm and an XM719 is 19mm.

really?... but my D321 is much wider than my 223?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No idea but...

32.1mm and 22.3mm in the 'D' range?
  • Matt 24k
    I did say "generally" :wink:
    Mavic's web site has all the measurements listed so you could check specific dimensions.
  • Criller
    Had a look at the Mavic crossride, which do look very nice for the price, but I'm having second thoughts now.

The reason I started to look at replacing the wheel was when the first spoke broke a few months ago I took it to Evans for repair. The chap they told me that although he fixed it he could not get the wheel as 'true' as he wanted. He said if another spoke broke that I should look to replace the wheel.

Does this sound like fair advice? Should I really need to replace the wheel or do you think I will get away with a spoke repair and re-true?

I've done around 5K miles on the Alex Rims.

Cheers