Routes in the Surrey Hills

Et Tu Titus
Et Tu Titus Posts: 15
edited May 2010 in Routes
I wondered if any of you could help me in finding some good routes to ride around the Surrey Hills ? I am due to visit some family there shortly and will be bringing my mtb with me in order to escape and retain my sanity

They are based near West Byfleet but I am flexible to travel anywhere in the area that has decent trails. Mostly looking for good XC and technical singletrack riding

Cheers, ETT

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    you could try out nirvana cycles rides- http://www.nirvanacycles.com/routesandrides.htm

or if exploring is more your bag, get explorer 146 (145 is another option), park up somewhere around dorking or westcott and hit the trails out towards leith hill and onwards, or up to ranmore. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of routes about online too- this spring to mind
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-east/the-north-downs/
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    just noticed, it looks like the two harder stw routes are the wrong way round
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Et Tu Titus
    Thanks, that is really helpful and most appreciated. I will have a look at these in more detail

Cheers
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    It might be worth tagging along with someone who knows the area as the best trails aren't so easy to find. Have a look at this thread over in the Rides section as there's a ride up there most weekends, which you could join.
  • Et Tu Titus
    Thanks gregsd, there seems to be a lot of you out there so might try to hook up with some people when I know the exact dates etc. Otherwise I was going to see if guys like Nirvana Cycles do shop rides at weekends or in the afternoon / evening during the week

Cheers, ETT
  • danseur
    danseur Posts: 70
    There are some excellent maintained trails in the Hurtwood on Holmbury and Leith Hills. The shop in Peaslake does good cake/tea and is where most people go for a break and a natter.

Nirvana also do maps with good routes.

Puttenham Common which is West of Guildford has some good riding as well.