Fred Whitton Entry changed - its a Lottery!

124»

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    How did everybody get on? Weather was great for the event and atmoshpere at the top of the passes was out of this world and gets better every year.

This year I wanted to get round in under 8hrs without walking. The last two years due to one mishap or another we had missed a first class time.

This year I managed 7hrs28min and even managed up hardknott with relative ease despite it being the hardest cllimb that I have ever done including those abroad. There was very little traffic on it this year and having done it many times and just last month I felt pretty confident approaching and did not get the pre-climb nerves that I usually get.

Hope every body else had a great time.
    Brian B.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Starting to feel like Brian’s forum stalker, I’ve just replied to his post on another site.
    I did 7 hrs 19 min’s 15 sec’s. Good day out and extra well done to the rider ( did not get his name) I spent a bit of time with on the steel framed bike with a 52/42 chain set.
    Thanks to Chris and his mate from Kendal Rugby club for a bit of encouragement at the end.
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Two cracking times there lads.

I had a good day, my wife missed me in Keswick to give me bottles so had no water till Buttermere and had to call at feed.

I didnt go to mad as it's the first time ive ridden the event and was concerned of blowing up as ive not ridden that distance.

Did 7hr 56min and rode the whole course so quite happy.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    8hrs 59mins, bloody good time you lot!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    great day, brilliant weather especially as its raining this morning.

It was the first time I've ridden over 60 miles so I took it easyish and managed 8.37 :)

two guys from work managed it in 6.30 something you may have seen a few of us in purple lake district kit.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    06:38 for me. 2nd best time out of my 6 efforts at it, so pretty pleased with that. Dabbed a foot and ran up a bit of Hardknott and Wrynose, but I don't think either of the 100m seations I did that for cost me much.

Top marks to Lofty for yelling abuse/encouragement at everyone on Hardknott. Hands on organising that. :D
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    solsurf wrote:
    great day, brilliant weather especially as its raining this morning.

It was the first time I've ridden over 60 miles so I took it easyish and managed 8.37 :)

two guys from work managed it in 6.30 something you may have seen a few of us in purple lake district kit.

THink I rode up Kirkstone with one of them, on a blue Merckx.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • CliveWG
    CliveWG Posts: 7
    A very tough day at the office.
    Great conditions, and I felt good.
    Unfortunately, not sure whether lack of training or my cycling style, and not salt, isotonic as I always have loads leading up to the event and loads incl salt capsules during event. cramp cramp cramp.
    Anyway, all the big climbs from Honister onwards, I had to get off and stretch as I was virtually crying with cramp. Result 8.00.40, initially I was gutted I didn't do <8 but on reflection, I've grown up and that'll do for me.
    I managed to run the Coniston horseshoe afterwards (9 miles about 3000 ft climb), but ended up walking most of the uphill bits, so at 3hours 15 it wasn't a world breaking time.
    And now, at home, I am absolutely knackered, destroyed.
    Have to say, probably one of the toughest days mentally for 3 years (mentalist 5 Pyranian 127 mile Etape in 2007).
    Managed to cycle all except that 30 metre 1 in 3 up Hardknott.
    Well done to fellow forumites, some awesome times there
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    6:55 for me (6:46 ride time)

Rode the lot but got cramp so was p!ssed off about that, as I could have been quicker (and it hurt).
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Could only manage a 9.10 I'm afraid. Was physically riding for 8.13 so I think I will take that time!!!!!

STILL cant get up Hard Knott!!!!

Pray I get in next year to tame Hard Knott!!

Fantastic day out, very well organised and brilliant support all the way round!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • disgruntledgoat
    The support on the roadside was the best I've ever seen it I think, the top of Whinlatter especially was great.

Also, the kid giving out water on Hardknott... He must have been doing that since he was old enough to hold the cups high enough! He's been there for about 3 years now!

@gietvangent
  • Brian B
    The support on the roadside was the best I've ever seen it I think, the top of Whinlatter especially was great.

Also, the kid giving out water on Hardknott... He must have been doing that since he was old enough to hold the cups high enough! He's been there for about 3 years now!

Does anybody know who this family is that hands out the water? They have been there for the last 4 years that I have done it and every year i just throw the water over my head to freshen up for the nasty hair pin :twisted:
    Brian B.
  • Have just got back from Coniston after making it a long weekend.... what can I say;

The best and the hardest day I have ever spent on a bike, 9 hrs will do, was going to
    try and ride Hardknott but had to resort to 'Shanks Pony'

The support around the course was fantastic, especially on Whinlatter, had to 'high
    5' with the kids, even though I would have preferred to keep my hands on the bars.

Excellent organisation all round, not enough superlatives.

Re the previous post..... I to would like to thank the kids handing out the water, I even
    saw them picking up the used cups. If any one knows, pass on my thanks. Restores
    your faith in human nature.

LITTER..... far to much for my liking, and all cyclist related, how hard can it be to
    to put that used Gel/Bar/Sweet wrapper in your pocket. C'mon folks this
    is the UK's premier National Park after all...... rant over.

'another coffee or are we off...'
  • rural
    rural Posts: 13
    disgruntledgoat, I was on the blue Merckx and came in @ 6.45. Tried to keep up with you and your mate in the Keswick kit but lost you on Honister. Need to do some serious hill work and get the legs back. See you next year
  • disgruntledgoat
    rural wrote:
    disgruntledgoat, I was on the blue Merckx and came in @ 6.45. Tried to keep up with you and your mate in the Keswick kit but lost you on Honister. Need to do some serious hill work and get the legs back. See you next year

We were both doing some serious yo-yoing all day. I went over the top of Honister ahead, he passed me on the descent. I didn't catch him til Newlands, he caught me on the descent. Lost him on whinlatter, he caught up after I stopped for bottles in Lorton. Went on all day and we finished as we started! Exactly the same time!

You were looking strong on Kirkstone, climbing well for a big (tall!) guy too.

@gietvangent
  • StuWalker
    StuWalker Posts: 9
    Lots of great stories and some very good times posted so far.

For my part I obliterated my first attempt time of last year of 8:08 with a 6:47, thanks in no small part to my Lakes RC team mate Howard who helped drag me round to Buttermere a lot faster than my legs were telling me they wanted to go!
    Also high fives to a couple of Liverpool Phoenix riders, including Simon Rushton who I also came accross in the Wrynose or Bust plus his mate who I don't know, and one or two others who helped up make a great chain gang from the bottom of Kirkstone to the start of Honister. You dropped back after that, but hope you still had a good day!
    Then from the top of Newlands I managed to get on the wheel of Matt Martindale of Wheelbase and then his mate from KMB until they pulled away on Cold Fell...
    In the end both me and Howard got a sub-7 elite time, despite Howie getting a puncture he got there with a 6:59. Therefore, mega chuffed all round and a couple of well earned drinks at the end.
    And despite Lofty's accusation I asn't sweating enough on Hardknott - it was REALLY hurting inside! But hats off to him and rest of the team for another 1st class event.

Stuart

Sub 6:30 next time? Or am I dreaming?
  • disgruntledgoat
    Did anybody see the Sikh dude who had coordinated his turban with his Euskaltel kit? Awesome look.

@gietvangent
  • Yes.... great look. I rode with him over Matterdale End and the A.66 into Keswick.
    Really nice bloke, no slouch either.

'never knowingly underweight'
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338

LITTER..... far to much for my liking, and all cyclist related, how hard can it be to

Yeah, it was the same on the Lakeland loop. Gel wrappers everywhere - absolutley no excuse for it :(
  • disgruntledgoat
    sagalout wrote:

Yeah, it was the same on the Lakeland loop. Gel wrappers everywhere - absolutley no excuse for it :(

I had a moan about this last year, went over Newlands a few days later and picked up about 5 wrappers and saw loads more. Some of the riding on the A66 narked me too, some of us have to deal with those motorists all year!

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat

@gietvangent
  • http://www.kennedyimages.co.uk/gallery. ... tname=Fred Whitton Challenge rider 301 x 400&eventno=302&view=316_b_&start=0&racer=316

Didn't realise how big/baggy the top was, with all that stuff in my rear pockets no
    wonder my a**e was so warm!!! I feel an ebay sale coming on

'Mankind has invested more than 4 billion years of evolution in the attempt
    to avoid physical exertion' - PJ O'Rourke
  • Brian B
    I had put on a fair pace up newlands and you always get caught on camera when you look bad!

www.kennedyimages.co.uk/gallery.asp?eventname=Fred Whitton Challenge rider 601 x 700&eventno=305&view=694_e_&start=204&racer=
    Brian B.
  • holmeboy
    Just about pegged it on Newlands, what my heart rate was, God only knows!
  • cumbriamike
    cumbriamike Posts: 75
    Another first time FWC rider.

I had been a marshall on the event for the previous two years (see photo) and had literally thought "I could do that" so two years on, constant training and several shorter sportives not to mention a very understanding wife as I yet again disappeared to the turbo room sorry I mean spare bedroom during those endless winter months, the day had finally arrived

Being lucky enough to live in Cumbria and having done the Lakeland Loop I had the 'advantage' of knowing what to expect and completing the eighty mile Drumlanrig Challenge the week before had boosted my confidence (and resolve) it was bloody freezing in Wanlockhead, apologies to the residents but how can anyone live there! sorry back to the FWC

Setting off at 6.45 but having woken at 3am, I guess like many others I was excited but cold and short of a few hours sleep. I was determined to stick to my own pace and fight my natural competiveness by not tagging on to faster moving groups of riders. Kirkstone Pass comes soon enough and the descent although steep and fast for those brave enough brought me relatively near to home territory by Ullswater. I actually enjoyed Honister? as people were relaxing and starting to talk and after the first feed at Buttermere there were lots of us to share the long slog up Newlands.

Psycologically being almost back in Keswick was not good but the crowds on Whinlatter and still having plenty of energy over Cold Fell I reached Calder Bridge feeling good. I still felt strong through Eskdale and rather bizzarely the first view of Hardknott makes you proud of getting that far. An hour or so later I reached the bottom of Wrynose knowing that the worst was over and the best was definitely about to come and so it proved as the last few miles were a sheer joy with a tailwind to boot.

As a whole the day was brilliant, yes there was the small matter of six of the steepest passes in the Lake District and for me scary descents on the other sides and having to walk albeit just the steepest bit of Hardknott but I will never forget the hundreds of people at the top of Whinlatter, the intermittent ringing of bells to encourage us on, the atmosphere at the feed stops and the last two miles into Coniston when any tiredness just disappears.

Well what do I aim for now? Isn't it enough that someone in his fifties that had given up running and cycling for a set of Wainwrights to even complete the FWC. I think not, next year (ballot dependent) I will ride up that steepest bit of Hardknott.

Thanks to all the organisers marshalls and riders who made it such a day to remember.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    So what was the weather like this year? Better than last year's hail stones assault?

EDIT: just noticed my post count has been reset. That's all my ride reports on this forum gone and back to being a novice... must have been a bad boy to deserve this?
  • holmeboy
    Weather was fine, cool never took leggings, jacket or gloves off whole way round. Only spits of rain that never came to anything, can't remember where.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I was on holiday in the Lakes at the end of April and drove over Wrynose and Hardknott for the first time - I offer my heartiest congratulations and utmost respect to everyone who got up them. Chapeau