12mm hub to QR - how?

Siim_S
Siim_S Posts: 37
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have accidentally bought a rear 12mm through axle hub (WTB LaserDisc SuperDuty). My bike is Specialized Pitch (Comp) and so far I've used QR hubs. Is there a way to convert LaserDisc SuperDuty compatible with my frame? Or maybe I can even use QR somehow? Would this bit work for me: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20271 ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you got an instruction leaflet with the hub? If not, download one.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    For starters that axle converts it to a smaller BMX standard bolt up
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Siim_S
    supersonic wrote:
    Have you got an instruction leaflet with the hub? If not, download one.
    There were no papers in the box, online instructions does not tell if it fits my specialized pitch frame and if not, what conversion or adapter axle should i use.
  • supersonic
    What does your frame require? WTB don't know that.

Looking at this:

http://www.wtb-bike.eu/data/support/Ser ... DutyV2.pdf

It does not mention anyything about a 135mm rear hub, or any sort of conversions.
  • Siim_S
    supersonic wrote:
    What does your frame require? WTB don't know that.
    I don't know that either, that's why I'm asking here. All I know is that it worked with QR before and the frame is Specialized Pitch. I'm sorry for my ignorance but I'm not familiar with frame rear dropout standards and compatibility, especially regarding the diameter of axle. There's not much information available either... specialized just says it's 135 mm wide, but that's not what i need to know.
  • supersonic
    You need a 135mm 10mm QR or 10mm bolt up axle hub, and not a bolt thru type ie a standard MTB rear hub.

I think you need a new hub.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    stevet1992 wrote:
    For starters that axle converts it to a smaller BMX standard bolt up

Wrong, it converts to standard/10mm (I have one) so you can use with any normal bike frame.

Its a '12mm - 10mm step down axle' 135mm spacing. Just bolt not QR

I too run a 12mm hub exactly the same as yours, with the above axle.

If your bike is 135mm rear end spacing with normal dropouts it will work (well, it does what it says on the tin)
  • supersonic
    Make sure the hub aint a 150mm lol.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Or without stating the obvious...return the hub and buy a one that fits. Simples
  • Siim_S
    it was too good deal to be returned, you can't find sub-300 gram rear 6-bolt hub for 60£ every day ;)

anyway, I'm going to try that step down axle, hope it works (yes, I have 135mm hub and dropout spacing). Thanks, Big Cheese!
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    it was too good deal to be returned, you can't find sub-300 gram rear 6-bolt hub for 60£ every day Wink

You mean circa 420g with that axle :wink:
  • Siim_S
    with regular QR axle that would be 370 or so, that means it's just some 40-60 grams difference and it's not rotating + I win in stiffness so I'm happy.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Even though it's Cromo axle material its remarkably light (and stiff obviously).

But, what you have to remember is that is a bolt up hub so you dont use QR skewers with it ;)

s1051165.jpg

however the gold nuts I purchased separately. You will get standard coloured ones.
  • Would you mind sharing where exactly you purchased those particular gold nuts from? Thanks in advance!
  • Siim_S
    I got mine from CRC, made by Gusset.