Anyone remember when May was warm, bright and sunny ?

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
Last few rides I have been out on have been into ice cold headwinds that would literally cut you in two , Ive even seen other riders in windproof jackets and full bibs...........IN MAY !!!!!! :shock:

What is it like where you are ? As I look out the window, the trees are swaying and its pouring rain :evil:

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Just been outside.

Its warm, sunny with a tiny bit of a coolish breeze.

So, it'll be snowing tomorrow as I'm riding...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Sunny, bright and Warm in Manchester
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Frosts most nights recently round here: -6 up in the Highlands.

My thoughts are turning to the amount of time spent standing around before 7am waiting for the Etape C start...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It's been bright enough - sat indoors or in a car you'd think it was a nice day - just cold. I went out early on Sunday and wished I'd put full finger gloves on.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    I have noticed May over the last few years has been great along with September, and i had the dirty knees tan by the end of May. The summer months however were poo so my logic says that this year if May is poor then we can look forward to a great warm, bright and dry summer?!

Or i may have just cursed it.
  • JimmyK
    awallace wrote:
    I have noticed May over the last few years has been great along with September, and i had the dirty knees tan by the end of May. The summer months however were poo so my logic says that this year if May is poor then we can look forward to a great warm, bright and dry summer?!

Or i may have just cursed it.

are you an optomistic guy then :D

last 2 summers have been just atrocious.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Warm, dry, sunny; pick two. Or something like that.

Not complaining though. I've done some great riding in the last couple of months despite only taking the arm warmers off only once or twice. Should just start getting some good form for when the deluge begins.
  • JimmyK
    our last two summers have been like wet seasons in india. summer 2008 was spectacularly wet, i was in dorset on hols in august 08 and it poured every single day and as for the winds.............dont start me.

there is a weather service called positive weather solutions, search it, its online. they have forecasted a summer equal to that of 1976, mid july to end of august that year caused drought and was like california in the uk........heres hoping they are right :P
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    i,m still riding in my winter kit, long sleeved jersey under long sleeved winter jacket, in the warm April i did a 50,60 and 70 mile ride ,so far this month the longest ride is 28 miles, still got the heating on at home as well, never had to do that in mid May as far back as i can remember.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
  • stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    Sounds like we are all in the same position! I've not worn a short sleeve or left my leg warmers off since I got back from Italy (5 weeks ago). However, crap as last years summer was, it rarely rained on the weekend, so far this year its been the other way around. [groan]
  • Don't feel too bad, it's not just the UK that's been suffering. After a warm April here in the Pyrenees we had a heavy snowfall in early May. It brought down hundreds of trees with the weight of snow on the new leaves and closed nearly all of the cols (some with the snow and the rest with the number of broken trees lying across the roads).

Now we're continuing the cold trend with wet cold days and nights. I'm reduced to riding up to the snow line and back dressed in full winter gear, when I should be doing some great circuits over the high cols with a gilet and arm warmers for the descent.

Bring on the summer, soon please.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I'm in Helsinki, Finland and it's been a very long winter... even just last week temperatures were averaging 5 - 10C during the day, but as of about 2 days ago, summer is here!

http://www.hs.fi/saa/ :D:D:D

Got the suncream and two big bottles full of Gatorade and am off for the day....
  • Warm,dry and generaly sunny in Lancashire and the lake district . The sun actually is quite warm but there seems to be a cool/chilly northerly wind/breeze which is causing the lower temperatures we are currently encountering, I think...

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    gorgeous so far today not long finished 37miles and enjoyed every mile of it. went out early because I was up at 7.30 due to the sun shining through my blinds/curtains, so much so that I thought it had to be 9/10am!

quick shop now followed by some lunch and then watch some giro action and finally go into town for a meal and a few drinks. What a day 8)
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Next week should be warmer, especially later in the week, when temperatures should reach 20C at least across England and Wales. Could be pushing towards the mid-20s in the favoured hot spots. Could be a bit of rain about early in the week but looks like being fine later on as high pressure starts to assert itself. Hopefully last into the weekend.
  • JimmyK
    Im only back from a 45 miler this afternoon, its lovely and bright but its zoom one direction and a 15 - 20 mph wind in your face the other. Im living for the day(s) the weather forecaster says its gonna be sunny, warm and 5 mph wind or less.

You can always hope , cant ya :wink:
  • rundle
    rundle Posts: 52
    I typically ride in the mornings so I have the rest of the day to get my chores done.

I have been outside ONCE this year in shorts and short fingered gloves.

Tights, knickers, warmers, long fingered gloves, etc.

It'll be fall soon.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Yes,last week when i was in Southern Spain and the sun shone for the 10 days I was there
    M.Rushton
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    weekend and next week is looking good! I have the week after that on holiday for some intensive miles, bet it rains....
  • JimmyK
    6 mph wind today and 20 C , it seems somebody heard my prayers :) , 45 miles of pure bliss today and reminded me of why i love cycling, and the weekend is to be killer too !!!!