Disc brakes in transit?

Cferg
Cferg Posts: 347
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Alright guys, just wondering what you tend to do when you're moving your bike in the car etc. when taking the wheels off. Recently I've been scared to remove the wheel in case of the brake lever being thrashed or bumped, but I'd seen plastic stopper things somewhere on a video before, anyone know where to get these? I know a piece of cardboard or whatever does to job and its probably not even a huge worry, just me being paranoid haha, travelling 20 miles to find that the front disc is seized is not something that I would take lightly...

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I wouldnt worry at all!

I always carry my bike in the boot of the car with the front wheel off. If the lever does get accidently pressed and the brake pads close, its only a quick job when you get the other end with a flat head screwdriver or similar to prise them apart again - never have I had a serized disc on arrival when this has happened to me :)

If you are concerned though, nip down you LBS they should have some plastic stops lying around im sure.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Cferg wrote:
    I know a piece of cardboard or whatever does to job

True that.

BleedBlocks.jpg

A pair of the one on the bottom right came with my brakes, I kept them for the same situations. But a thin bit of wood/metal/plastic will do the job fine.

I think they are usually called bleed blocks.
  • I use a one euro coin. Fits perfectly

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Cferg
    Awesome cheers guys, I shall have a look around to see if I can come up with a more permanent solution other than a few pits of card, euro sounds like a good idea, need to check if it fits my pads though.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    RealMan wrote:
    Cferg wrote:
    I think they are usually called bleed blocks.
    Bleed blocks and pad spacers are two different things, bleed blocks you put in after you have taken the pads out when bleeding, pad spacers stop the pads coming together in transit. Go down to your LBS and ask for some.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I don't bother, rarely had any problems.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Usually use a torn up bit of cardboard from the middle of a bog roll wedged between the pads.
    No probs so far.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Pad spacers should come with the brakes or the bike, if not ask at you lbs, of it you want some thing like [url=thishttp://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bike-and-wheel-bags/outland-frame-saver-kit.html]thishttp://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bike- ... r-kit.html[/url]
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    To be honest, unless you stick something heavy on top of your bike, you shouldn't really need one of those dropout protector things, the bits i worry most about are the brake calipers, the rear mech getting bashed about and my rotors getting contaminated on an oily chain or something.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Cferg
    Yeah, something heavy on top of your bike, like another bike? :lol: Nahh, I always make sure the mech dosent get bashed etc. and NOBODY can touch the discs haha, never really had any issues with the discs or pads becoming contaminated but few of my mates have.
  • Bungalow Bill
    Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
    I put my bike on my roof, still to convince anyone to sit on it while I drive my car :(
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina