4X setup/upgrade help

brocky
brocky Posts: 104
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi all.Im looking at getting into 4x just want to try it really.I currently have a spesh hardrock 08 with a few upgrades;
Marzocchi DJ2 04 (air) 100mm
Hayes 9 on front
Avid BB-5 on rear
Race face bar and stem combo dh one.
Mavic Dee trax Rear wheel
Alex/Specialized front wheel
DMR V-8 pedals.

Im not really sure how good that would be for 4x racing.I feel comfortable on it but ive never raced before.What would you upgrade next?Also any ideas for tyres?I currently run conti mountain king 2.4 rear and michelin 2.1 upfront.Any tips and help appreciated and also on setup tyre pressure sus gears etc.Thanks

Below is the standard spec of the bike;
FRAME
A1 Premium Aluminum, double-butted, ORE DT, externally relieved HT, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 alloy hanger, disc only
REAR SHOCK
N/A
FORK
SR Suntour SF7-XCM, 100mm travel, 12": 80mm, 30mm Hi-Ten stanchions and steerer, one piece alloy lower, coils spring mcu w/ preload adj., spring assisted seals, custom paint/graphic, disc only
HEADSET
1 1/8" threadless
STEM
Specialized 3D forged alloy, two bolt, 25.4mm, 10 degree rise
HANDLEBARS
Alloy 25.4mm, 640mm wide, 38mm rise, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep, 3.2mm thick
TAPE/GRIPS
Specialized Enduro, dual density Kraton
FRONT BRAKE
Avid BB-5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
REAR BRAKE
Avid BB-5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano EF-50, integrated
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Altus FD-M310-6, top swing, 34.9mm clamp
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano Acera RD-M340
SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano EF-50
CASSETTE FREEWHEEL
Shimano HG-40, 8-speed, 11-32t
CHAIN
KMC X8, 1/2" x 3/32" w/ reusable Missing Link
CRANKSET
SR Suntour XCM-T312, replaceable rings, Octalink spline
CHAINRINGS
42S/32S/22S
BOTTOM BRACKET
Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 118mm for 50mm chainline
PEDALS
Steel cage, composite body, 9/16"
RIMS
Specialized/Alex HRD 26, double wall disc
FRONT HUB
Specialized Hi Lo disc, 32h, CNC flange and disc mount, polished races, alloy QR
REAR HUB
Specialized Hi Lo disc, cassette, 32h, CNC flanges and disc mount, polished races, alloy QR
SPOKES
1.8mm (15g) stainless
FRONT TIRE
Specialized Resolution, 26x2.1", 30TPI, wire bead
REAR TIRE
Specialized Resolution, 26x2.1", 30TPI, wire bead
TUBES
Specialized schraeder valve
SADDLE
Specialized Aggro, Aramid sides, front and rear bumpers, 143mm width
SEAT POST
Specialized alloy two bolt micro adjust head, 30.9mm

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'd say it would need a chainguide. Don't want the chain to bounce off.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    What front hub are you running? A chain device, oh and maybe a different frame as 4x does give a good hammering and iirc the hardrock is a crosscountry frame.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • RevellRider
    I'm going to guess it's the standard front wheel, so a cheap Specialized one.

Cross country frames can hold up to a little rough riding, if the OP gets serious then they could look into getting a decent 4x frame.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    since a lot of 4X stuff seems to be basically beefy XC gear i would guess the hardrock frame would be OK for a beginner (my wife has a hardrock and its a nice tight little frame in the smaller sizes)

slainte :) rob
  • brocky
    brocky Posts: 104
    cheers guys.yer my wheel is spesh and alex rim.I do need a chainguide but theres no iscg tabs on it and can anyone explain how the bb mounting for a chainguide works?do i need external ones and cups and stuff?
  • get a 4x frame.
  • RevellRider
    brocky wrote:
    I do need a chainguide but theres no iscg tabs on it and can anyone explain how the bb mounting for a chainguide works?do i need external ones and cups and stuff?

On E13 ISCG 05 chain guides such as the LS1 there is a plate which sits behind the driveside cup.

You won't need an external BB as the driveside cup on BB's is fixed, so the plate is wedged between the cup and the frame.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    that will need quite alot of work.
    for chaingide get a superstar one as it's only £35 and comes with a BB mountable adapter. new chainset, new wheels will make alot of difference and better forks
  • RevellRider
    jay12 wrote:
    for chaingide get a superstar one as it's only £35 and comes with a BB mountable adapter. new chainset, new wheels will make alot of difference and better forks

The OP said -
    brocky wrote:
    Hi all.Im looking at getting into 4x just want to try it really.

Spending all that money on a new frame, forks and wheels for something he may not enjoy is a bit pointless don't you think?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    jay12 wrote:

The OP said -
    brocky wrote:
    Hi all.Im looking at getting into 4x just want to try it really.

Spending all that money on a new frame, forks and wheels for something he may not enjoy is a bit pointless don't you think?
    i din't say to get a new frame but i take your point
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    A strong rebuildible front hub/wheel will be a good investment.
    I thought the OP was intested in 'getting into' 4x racing, if he just wants to try that style of riding take some time at a bmx track and see what breaks, the trouble is if you are starting out you will crash then a bit more jump ruggedness is better. The forks are fine, the drivetrain is okay until it breaks, brakes are subjective and some fast rolling tyres never go amiss.

A steel frame from one of the smaller brands will already have iscg mounts, better geometry and stand upto the knocks, ally frames in this catagory have massive tubing and weld areas, my STP0 is built like a tank.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: