Campsite security

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I'm taking my bike camping this year. Are there any really good anchoring devices available to chain your bike to on site?

I've seen one that is a corkscrew but it looks like it would be possible to twist it back out of the ground even with a bike chained to it.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Are you travelling by car to your campsites, how about chaining through your car wheels or round an axle.

Ask you campsite owner if they have a bike park or area where they can be locked up to something, lamp post? tree?
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    I've generally just used a big, sod off tree when I've been camping, along with at least 2 or 3 bike locks. Another tip is to buy a cheap bike cover from Halfords - it obviously keeps the rain & tree sap off your bike, but also makes folks think that there is just a run-of-the-mill bike under there. Nice shiny bikes just attract attention IMO!
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Spare tent for the bike? I have no practical experience of camping with a bike.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    :lol: that would probably work, Im sure you can pick up a cheap 2 man tent and lock the zips.

Whos gonna nick a tent unless they know whats inside, thats the tricky part
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    GHill wrote:
    Spare tent for the bike? I have no practical experience of camping with a bike.

I've thought of doing this. Our Asda has a 2 man tent for £10 that should easily take 2 bikes with the wheels taken off. I figure a casual thief wouldn't look in a closed up tent in case there was someone sleeping in it. A determined thief would have bolt croppers and nothing would save your bike.

The snag is that you'd probably have to pay for the extra tent.
  • bbug wrote:
    GHill wrote:

Doesn't have to be a decent tent though. You could pick one up for a tenner, which is less than what you'd pay for a bike lock... Weight might be an issue though, depending on how you're travelling.

Got to agree, I wouldn't like the idea of locking the bike up away from the tent. Camp sites are generally good self-policing places, but still...
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    GHill wrote:

Doesn't have to be a decent tent though. You could pick one up for a tenner, which is less than what you'd pay for a bike lock... Weight might be an issue though, depending on how you're travelling.

Think he meant you'd need to pay extra camp site fees for the extra tent?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    At BikeRadar live, my bike will be sleeping with me. We're gonna spoon, it'll be......intimate :shock:
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Out comes te seat post, in goes ............................. :shock:
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Broonster wrote:
    GHill wrote:

One of my blonde moments, I think.

Depends on the campsite though. There's variations in the ways they charge. But yeah, you;re likely to get stung.
  • 14tod
    14tod Posts: 13
    Ill be leaving mine in the car. Its lockable and as an alarm.
    Just hope it close to my tent.
    Dolan Aurora, Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels, Ultegra group.
    Cinelli palm bars.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Richie63 wrote:
    Out comes te seat post, in goes ............................. :shock:

Quiet you.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Broonster wrote:
    GHill wrote:

Depends on the campsite though. There's variations in the ways they charge. But yeah, you;re likely to get stung.

You would get charged for an extra tent, its lost revenue for another paying customer otherwise...

On the security front, I just lay a sheet down in the back of the car and lock mine and the missus' bikes in the back of the motor.

Deadlocked doors means you wont get the bikes out even if you smash the windows.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    lots of sites I've been to just charge supplement for a small tent thats being used for storage.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    :lol: that would probably work, Im sure you can pick up a cheap 2 man tent and lock the zips.

It's faster and quieter to open a tent with a knife than it is with the zip. The only thing a tent will do is put it out of sight. If you've got a car with you, see if there's somewhere inside that you can loop a chain through, maybe in the wheel well, so you can secure the bike inside the car, then cover it up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Keep them in the car?!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Briggo wrote:
    Broonster wrote:
    GHill wrote:

You would get charged for an extra tent, its lost revenue for another paying customer otherwise...

On the security front, I just lay a sheet down in the back of the car and lock mine and the missus' bikes in the back of the motor.

Deadlocked doors means you wont get the bikes out even if you smash the windows.

I think you have too much faith in your deadlocked doors, and are not giving enough 'credit' to today's thieves! Scum!
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Last weekend I went camping with my bike. Met up with a mate, both bikes were just thrown in the cars when sleeping/boozing.

I went as far as ringing my insurance company up. Just in case, they were ok with that. Still would be a terror if they did go missing but at least I would have had peace of mind.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    bike in tent with you is the best way, just get a slightly bigger tent

if you're car camping then get a *really* big tent, 2m standing room is aces for biking as you have loads of room for bike storage and you can walk around in it with your nadgers out drying off after a shower ... erm ... ok, overshare, nvm :oops:

anyway, if in a small tent then bikes in the car...or I'd run a cable to the bike from my big toe ... and choose a pitch next to a tree and lock the bike to that
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I'm taking my bike camping this year. Are there any really good anchoring devices available to chain your bike to on site?

I've seen one that is a corkscrew but it looks like it would be possible to twist it back out of the ground even with a bike chained to it.

Get yourself a bike alarm.

You can get them off e-bay for less than a tenner. They run off a nine volt battery and are triggered if someone 'knocks' the bike, I just clip it to the frame overnight. The thief wouldn't know it was attached until he went to move it at which point the whole campsite would be awake, he's not going to hang around trying to remove locks with one of these this going off.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorbike-Alarm-S ... 609wt_1165

You can change the sensitivity and the 3 digit disarming code, I don't think they're waterproof but you can just wrap it in a food bag