Training for racing advice

andrewJohnson
andrewJohnson Posts: 201
So, I'd like to get into racing and I'm wondering what the best possible training is for being able to cope with the tempo. I'm skinny so would be looking at more hillier races probably(If there is any). I don't have any specific deadline, I can train up to about 4hours on Mon - Wed and Sat & Sun for the next few weeks until my A level exams then after those I've got plenty more time.

So what is the best training to do? Hill repeats with longer rides in between or something else?

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Interval training. Racing, in my experience has been riding hard in a bunch and reacting quickly to surges in speed, so being able to stand up and stamp on the pedals for short bursts and recover quickly is very important.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Try a fast club ride or chaingang a) to see if you can hack the pace and b) to hone your bunch riding skills. You will not be flavour of the month if you turn up at a race and are a liabliity to others.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • andrewJohnson
    Ok thanks, think I'll be heading out on the faster club rides as soon as I can, aswell as interval training.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    So much of racing is about confidence and bike handling - join a club and go out on their group rides, find some chain gangs and do them, get some training partners and practice banging into each other a bit so you are comfortable with it, go down the velodrome and do some sessions. Of course you need the endurance and the top end speed as well - but they'll come and you can get technical about how best to train later.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Just go and race. You'll soon get better and you'll find your shortcomings soon enough plus it's the perfect training!
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    I'm with Tom Butcher, racing isn't just about being fit. It's about being safe and confident enough to ride in a bunch at up to 30 - 40 mph without putting those other riders at risk.

There's plenty of people who can keep up but who are still a liability to the others in the bunch, having a bit of bunch riding experience before you start racing will be time well spent (and it's all training anyway :))
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    inseine wrote:
    Just go and race. You'll soon get better and you'll find your shortcomings soon enough plus it's the perfect training!
    Depends on the type of racing.............sometimes you can spend a lot of time coasting interspersed with frantic periods on the rivet........I don't think that will ever build the sort of aerobic base that you need to be able to hang in there in the first place.

Also agree with the comments on learning group riding before trying racing.........especially as I was taken out last Friday in a race and am currently stuck at home with a cracked clavicle. :(
  • andrewJohnson
    Thanks all. I'm fairly confident riding in a group, it's the corners that would worry me because I'm not very good at cornering but it's something I aim to improve on.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    Hi AJ, Im intersted in getting into racing myself and noticed you dont live that far from me. What club you in as Im looking for one with a few more experienced but current racers and not too far away. Could even do some training together sometime? I was going to do the go-ride Manchester as my first race but they put it on hold :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks all. I'm fairly confident riding in a group, it's the corners that would worry me because I'm not very good at cornering but it's something I aim to improve on.

I was exaxtly the same, but when you are in the bunch and bowling along you just corner with the rest of them, you don't really have time to worry about it, it just happens. It was quite apleasant surprise to be honest, my fitness on the other hand was shocking compared to the others :shock: