Drivetrain compatibility...

williambowland
williambowland Posts: 131
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Wotup...

I am intending to upgrade my drivetrain - crankset, BB and probably the cassette and chain shortly after. SLX crankset seems the only sensible choice for me.

The bike currently has the factory mix of SRAM and Shimano - SRAM X9 rear mech and PG950 cassette, Shimano M521 (woohoo!) crankset and HG53 chain.

I haven't had any bother and was planning on keeping the mix broadly the same - just bumping some of the bits a few steps up the foodchain.

I was wondering - are there are any issues to worry about mixing the Shimano HG and SRAM Powerglide components like this? Are there any specific combinations (e.g. SRAM rear mech and Shimano cassette) to avoid?

Cheers...

W
2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as the rear shifter and mech is compatible the rest tends to mix and match
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Aye't then!

Cheers for that, cooldad.

W
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and keep all the parts the same speed (in general but not exclusively).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers nicklouse...

TBH, my main worry was cassette and rear mech compatibility. I had a worrying feeling that as the tech improved as you went up the price scale that mixed components would work less well together. Sounds like that is unfounded.

I will be sticking with SRAM for rear shifting and a Shimano chain so my question was mainly to do with cassette choice. I'll be staying 9 speed for the foreseeable future, that is for sure!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • nicklouse
    I would be using a Sram chain and an XT cassette :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I was looking at an XT cassette, actually.

My mate recently swapped to a SRAM chain and has suffered a lot of problems since. Not conclusive, of course, but I have never had any bother with my cheap @ss Shimano so wasn't planning on changing. Maybe I will reconsider!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • @nicklouse... I also have some new wheels about to arrive from Merlin - XM719 on Pro2. I saw a post by you on another thread saying Hope recommend XT or above (I assume the implication was that an alloy carrier is the issue) on for their hubs... correct?

I am not gonna be able to do this all in one go... if regularly disassemble and keep the free hub body lightly greased (?) - will that keep the hub safe until I can upgrade the cassette?

Gah... this is getting expensive!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • nicklouse
    it is nothing to do with grease or lube but the cogs cutting into the body.

aluminum-body.jpg

not a Hope body but it shows the same result.
  • k...

So, a cassette with a spider-type carrier is the recommendation to prevent the freehub body being chewed up, yeah?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep.

XT Cassette and a PC971/991 chain - the best value/weight/strength combination known to man.
  • Cheers chunkers...

Looks like I have consensus there... as close as I have seen on a forum anyhow!

I am a bit disappointed... looks like it'd be a much better idea NOT to fit my old cassette on the new hubs at all. I am gonna have to wait! Well... you live and learn.

Thanks for the advice!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1