Not riding for a while due to...

largephil
largephil Posts: 358
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Due to dislocated elbow... gutted.

anyone with any recovery advice, it would be more than welcome.

would appreciate advice as the NHS doctor said take pain killers and it will be ok in a few days. He didnt believe that it had been dislocated. Would love to have seen his face if I had walked in wilt my bone slicking out the side of my arm!!!

Comments

• Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    After 8 broken bones including ribs, shoulders, both wrists, foot, coller bone AND shoulder blade all thrown in with separated shoulders.
    It took roughly 2-3 weeks with the separated shoulders before I was able to ride again. With breaks it was easily 10 weeks before it was fully healed.

This was combined with lots of Physio too, contact your GP or one directly and see what they would recommend. It really does help!
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    hmmm i hurt my elbow quite badly and the doctor didn't seem to acknowledge this, just said i needed painkillers and it would be ok in a week

4 weeks later and i still hadn't been able to move my arm from the same position... i really wish i'd bothered to get it x-rayed, 9 months on and the middle of my forearm still hurts when i put too much pressure through it

but yeah go to a physio, worked wonders after i broke my ankle, playing tennis again 2 weeks after the cast came off :wink:
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Apart from a bit of waving to keep your balance, unicycling doesn't involve your arms at all. And its great fun. You can pick them up for real cheap off the internet (probably less then £50) and it may just be the perfect time to learn if you can't ride a normal bike.

Just an idea anyway, hope you feel better soon :wink:
  • largephil
    Unicycle...hadnt thought of that one, i'll check that out later 8)

What really made me laugh at the hospital, after seeing the triage nurse and waiting 2 hours in total agony, I was moved into the doctors ward. The guy in the cubicle oposite who was in just before me was being assessed by a doctor. heard him describing the injury. He had banged his funny bone on a cupboard 2 days ago and his arm was still a bit red!!! I could have slapped him, but my arm was not workin!
  • largephil wrote:
    The guy in the cubicle oposite who was in just before me was being assessed by a doctor. heard him describing the injury. He had banged his funny bone on a cupboard 2 days ago and his arm was still a bit red!!! I could have slapped him, but my arm was not workin!

The doctor's reaction is unsurprising if they get people like that in all the time.

Definitely go back. Get it x-rayed. And if you have to, get a private physio. Dislocations can become a recurring problem, you want to minimise any future problems as much as possible.
  • largephil
    I did get it x-rayed eventually and there is no bone damage around the joint. Also the joint seems to be in the correct place. How long is normal to leave it before physio? I was going to give it 2-3 weeks for the swelling and bruising to go down.