Advice on best sub £1000 HT

Fat Bird
Fat Bird Posts: 23
edited May 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting rid of my Specialized FSR XC and purchasing a hard tail instead. Whilst I really like the FSR XC the full suspension is a little wasted on me. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good hard tail for under £1000? I've been considering a Rockhopper. Does anyone ride one? Is it worth spending a little more for the Stumpjumper?
Suggestions greatfully received!
Emma

Comments

• Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    You could have a look at the Giant XTC range of bikes. Not sure about the 2010 spec but I found the 09 XTC 2 had IMO a better spec than the equivalent priced Spez when buying. That's just my opinion and there are probably loads on here who will disagree with me. Haven't encountered anything in my local trailcentre yet that the XTC couldn't cope with.
    Hope this helps.
  • topmoxy
    topmoxy Posts: 138
    i have an 09 rockhopper pro. cant fault it , cracking bike and i think there are still a few 09 models about at discount price.
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    Boardman
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s2p2291

I had a go on one the other day and now wish I had £1000 to spend on one
  • Fat Bird
    Thanks everyone. Going to test GT, Boardman and a Cube LTD race.
    Emma
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    Fat Bird wrote:
    Thanks everyone. Going to test GT, Boardman and a Cube LTD race.
    Emma

How did you get on?
    In the same boat, been thinking about Marin eldridge grade or Lapierre Tec 700.
  • Have you seen the Ghost Miss 5700 Womens Hardtail
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
  • Fat Bird
    The Ghost looks really nice - could only find one dealer in the UK - Scotland.
    Think I'll prob go with the cube. Really good spec for the money and looks quite nice too!
  • That Cube does look very stealth. http://www.herbertscycles.co.uk/ sells Ghost. Can i ask why your not buying a womens specific bike...?
  • Fat Bird
    I'm quite tall and I've yet to find a frame that's right - tend to be a bit short in the top tube for me.
  • I'm guessing that you have not found a bike that suits you then...?
  • omaha
    omaha Posts: 120
    + 1 for the XtC. love mine,
    oh and CRC do ghost. a friend of mine got one a few months back seems ok for the money but the back end is abit lively
    a bike with round rubbery things
    another bike with springy bits on it
    another bike with too few gears
  • mfereborn
    mfereborn Posts: 480
    May i suggest a pinnacle evolution 2.0 (assuming they fall in at under £1000 now)

As standard they have an excellent spec and they are plenty light enough for a bike of similar style, nice slack head angle prevents it being too twitchy which i found nice when off-road.

Pinnacle do make some very nice bikes, mostly with good specs, i believe they are evans own brand but dont let that put you off because you get more than your moneys worth!
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P