Muc off
Cif/Jif
That barry scott stuff
Some asda cream cleaning thing
White spirit
Sponges
Cloths
Brushes

And nothings working. In fact, its slightly dirtier then when I started.

Lizard skin peatys if that matters.

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Fairy liquid and a stiff brush works for me.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    some of that starch you use to whiten collar cuffs? I have no idea what this will do for the compound though. Depends how desperate you are to be purer than pure...
  • Had some white Peaty grips as well, couldnt keep them clean at all. In the end I just ran them until they were worn out and replaced them with another colour.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I was fitting some white grips for a mate got them all nice and straight and clean did something else on the bike involving grease grabbed hold of the bars just as I realised my hands were mucky. Left greasey stains on the virgin white rubber.

Managed to shift the stains using IsoPropyl achohol ( IPA ) it cleaned them up lovely. However they were new and the dirt wasnt ground in so might not work for you but worth a try.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Look how dirty peatys grips are! If he knew you wrote this thread..........he'd be so ashamed of you
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    You don't think he'd want me to keep the grips with his name on nice and clean?
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Swarfega and an old toothbrush worked for me. However in the end I found I didn't have the patience and switched to black grips!
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Weldtite dirtwash cleaned my old peaty grips up a treat, Then I got bored and changed to black specialized lock ons. Anyone notice a theme here :lol:
  • RealMan
    Yes and its quite depressing.
  • LOL i use Flash toilet wipes bring em back to new!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Fenwicks, neat with a toothbrush.
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    You can now get peatys in black with gold lock-ons, and if you go on the Lizard Skins US Webby you can customise them......cost's a fortune to ship them to the UK tho' !... :(
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    I have them in black and gold for that little touch of bling
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i used a jet wash on my original odi white grips but one day i got carried away and the jet wash cut the grips!
    my latest superstar ones won't clean up with anything :(
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    My old white Peaty ones used to come a little bit cleaner using muc-off and a toothbrush (as already suggested) however, it never got them *properly* clean.

My new white Ergon grips seem to come clean much easier though.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Black is the new black here - why anyone who designs MTB's thinks that having white as the main colour on anything that doesn't wash/wipe down easily (like frame & forks) was a good idea, I've not quite figured yet :?:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Atomic
    Atomic Posts: 34
    The bike I've just bought came with white peaty grips and a white saddle.

They were so clean I'm convinced the guy never rode the thing!

I've swapped both for black components, because I just couldn't keep the damn things clean (and brown stains on your saddle is not a good look...)

*edit: typo-doh
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    incidently i have no trouble at all with my white charge spoon
  • ive got white DMR logged or whatever they be called, but fairy liquid, water and a toothbursh works a treat. brings them back to new

right up until i touch them, then they are instantly grey/brown/poo colour
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    +1 on the spoon, comes up luvly every time.

Have to say white grips will never be 100% but Fenwicks gets close...G
  • RealMan
    Ok looks like it may just be a case of giving up and buying black ones. Fenwicks might work but I don't have any and I can probably get some new grips for the same price.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Use them till you cant stand the sight anymore like I managed for a year then buy new ones heh http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=277