Now I feel old & slow!!!!

danowat
danowat Posts: 2,877
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
So there I am, 8 miles into my 17 mile commute, making (what I thought) was "progress" at a nice steady 18mph, minding my own business..........

When all of a sudden, a paperboy, on a ratty old mountain bike, cruises past me effortlessly, looks at me as he passes, and I bet my ass he is thinking, "come on, put ya foot down oldie!!!"

Great start to the day that 8)

Comments

• sascos
    sascos Posts: 100
    ...same thing happended to me with real human boy....it`s very demoralising .. :lol:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Don't worry about it - you aren't racing the paperboy - your racing yourself - all you can do is keep increasing your speed - and doing better and better times.

There will always be someone to ride your wheel off.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,764
    18mph is a very good speed for a commute of that length. The paper boy was probably only doing a mile or two at most and probably put and effort in when he saw you. I'm always getting smart arses sprinting past me at the end of a long hard ride when they are off to the shop for a paper, if it came to a proper head to head race though I'm sure I'd beat them in most cases.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Chin up Dan,

You will not always be the fastest thing on the road, on 2 wheels pedalling.

I'n trying to get the hang of hills at the mo, it's always annoying that you always seem to catch up some old guy on a MTB on a hill and then just as you get close to him... he seems to pull away :lol:

Like people have said, just stick to your own pace, you know what you can do and how fast... the rest will come in time.

:)

Regards,

Dru.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Whilst it did happen exactly as I said, it was more of a tongue in cheek post :wink: , although i did feel like shouting "I'VE GOT ANOTHER 10 MILES OF THIS!!!!"

I've got my first sportive in a month (I wimped out and opted for the 50miler, rather than the full fat 100 miler), so I can judge myself against some like for like "opponents" then :lol:

On a more positive note, I think I am a faster cyclist than I ever was as a runner (my half marathon PB is a lowly 2:15!!!)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,764
    Aah, you've made me feel better now as my two half marathon attempts have been about that time too (should have beaten 2 hours second time but hit the wall and walked miles 8 to 10 :( ). :D
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    There were 4 of us on our summer jaunt last year.We were on quiet country lanes touring around on our mountain bikes.We came up to a Gran and her grandaughter. The youngster was on a fixed speed pink/tassled kids bike.But she took us on, she kept up with us no probs and actually strarted to race off daring us to do the same.in the end we were pushing quite hard to overhaul her.Luckily her gran called her back! before we were too knackered.Sat outside a pub short time later,who should ride up!She gave us a little wave as to say "that showed you" brilliant,made our day.
  • My commute is 32.4 miles a day 16.2 each way and it takes me around 45 to 50 mins each way it has a couple of climbs one long and one short, on the long climb i noticed a bloke halfway up my first climb 2ish miles. I dropped the hammer and gave chase, by the time i reached this bloke sat bolt up right on a mountain bike i was breathing through my backside, as i passed still climbing at 16 mph i noticed the battery pack of his electric bike.
    Good job he turned off coz five miles up the road i was a broken man with 7 miles left to ride. Needless to say i crept home around 10 mph. :D
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Almost 21.6 mph over 16.2 miles is pretty quick, you should start racing/time trialling 8)
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    I always cheer myself up when passed by assuming the offending rider is only just a mile into their ride whilst I might be a mile from home after a 40 miler. That excuse tends to go out the window when I'm in the middle of nowhere though! Or a mile into my own ride...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I believe, that's what's known as "being done" :D

Have a look through the forun, or ask some kind sould to post the rules of overtaking or "doing" someone.

The bottom line is, no matter how unfit you are, how knackered you are, or how many miles you've done. The trick when overtaking is to cruise past nonchelantly, looking very composed and making it look easy...... especially if you're on a clunker and the evertakee is on a £££££ bike and in full team kit.

I'm suer that once out of view, said paperboy will have been bent over his handlebars, blowing out of his ar*e !

I'm sure that NapD will fill you in with the detail of overtaking.
    :)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I hate it when you see someone in the distance and you want to catch them, so you start pedalling harder thinking to yourself that you are really flying now and you will pass them quickly, but actually you are only gaining on them slowly, you start thinking to yourself this guy is fast he must be a roadie as im struggling to catch him, eventually when you do catch up you find out its some old guy on a bike that is 20 years old whistling to himself having a nice relaxing ride pedalling at something like 30rpm... :shock:

Makes you feel like a right muppet when you are wearing a racing team jersey and shorts riding a carbon racing bike and your struggling to get past an old man riding a shyte bike!! LOL :D

I keep telling myself I was 40 miles into my ride and my jersey pockets must be acting like air breaks and slowing me, plus I had a fly in my eye, and a wasp in my helmet.......
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    The other side of it is that having "all the gear" is altruistic in a sense - you can feel less guilty when flying past people because they're not going to feel so bad being passed by someone who at least looks the part.

Although I can't help loving it when I'm cycling up a hill and a serious looking mountain biker appears ahead, looks back, and suddenly accelerates in an attempt to distance the roadie, knurly tyres humming and suspension fork bouncing up and down.... talk about a red rag, he might as well be a wounded wildebeest... :wink:
  • fastercyclist
    fastercyclist Posts: 396
    neeb wrote:
    The other side of it is that having "all the gear" is altruistic in a sense - you can feel less guilty when flying past people because they're not going to feel so bad being passed by someone who at least looks the part.

Although I can't help loving it when I'm cycling up a hill and a serious looking mountain biker appears ahead, looks back, and suddenly accelerates in an attempt to distance the roadie, knurly tyres humming and suspension fork bouncing up and down.... talk about a red rag, he might as well be a wounded wildebeest... :wink:

They're probably mentally scarred from many years of being overtaken on hills. There's a hill nearby here where it's 50/50 that there will be a mountain biker on it pushing his bike up hill. A bit of an oxymoron if I ever heard one :lol: Last time had a lad shout that he can normally cycle up the hill after me, I only said hello. :twisted:
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome