Route through the Alps?

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Thinking of going on a tour myself from Paris to Slovenia. Only chose Slovenia as something a bit different (to Rome) and quite fancy finishing in and seeing a bit of Slovenia - been to Italy a few times.

Anyway - are there a set number of good routes through the Alps, or is it just a case of pick your way through, they'll all be scenic?

Not sure where to start...

Did London to Paris before with a mate and literally just picked a route off the map with as much green (scenic) line next to it. Just do that? Got a Garmin 705, so that should help plan it out.

Thanks
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The best place to start your route planning is at the end (border crossing into Slovenia), then at the pinch points (major river and motorway crossing)
    I can recomend one really good border crossing from Austria. It is close to
    turisticna kmetija rogar in Slovenia (a tourist farm accomodation).
    The road is too small to show on google but is on local maps.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    A couple of specific recommendations, mostly relating to Swizerland because that's the bit I know best.

- The Vosges is lovely. Probably the nicest way into the alps is via the Vosges and the Swiss Jura, maybe with a detour into SW Germany (Schwarzwald) if you're feeling keen.

- One of the prettiest corners of Switzerland (IMO) and the entire Alps is the very SE. I'd highly recommend crossing into Italy through Zernez/Santa Maria, or Zernez Bormio. From there you're into the Dolomites and many options exist, either directly through to Slovenia, or zig zagging into Austria.

- From, say, Bern through to Zernez, the route I'd look at would be Meiringen->Sustenpass->Andermatt->Oberalppass->Muster->Lukmanierpass->Bellinzona->San Bernard->Splugen->Chiavenna->St Moritz->Zernez. Bit windy but you're going to hit a good handful of the major swiss passes and some lovely roads, as well as avoiding a fair bit of traffic (e.g. Andermatt to Chur is quite a busy stretch).

Have fun!